Armagh Club Match Reports 15/06/19 – 16/06/19

Senior League A

Silverbridge 2-8 Ballymacnab 1-9

This game ebbed and flowed throughout, with both teams edging in front at different times in the second half, only for Silverbridge to just pull clear in the final few minutes as they kicked the last three points of the contest. Ballymacnab got on top in the 42nd minute with a brilliant goal but Silverbridge replied instantly with their own goal, switching the momentum back in their favour.

Gavin McParland and Brian McCone pointed frees for the Nab in the first 10 minutes during a dominant period for the Round Towers. Aaron Duffy and Patrick Reel split the posts to tie the game after 20 minute before the ‘Bridge struck for the games opening goal, a high ball into the square from Brendan Byrne was directed across the line by Patrick Reel to give the hosts a three point lead. Reel split two Gavin McParland points to see out the half with Silverbridge just ahead 1-3 to 0-4.

McParland again opened the scoring while Jamie Murphy responded at the other end of the field before McParland struck another two, with assistance from Cormac McKee and Brian McCone to tie the game while Joseph Rock raised his first white flag to put Silverbridge ahead by the minimum once again.

 Joe Gribben rattled the net after Ciaran Connelly had broken through the Silverbridge rear guard to lay the ball off but Silverbridge levelled the game immediately with their second three pointer through Joseph Rock, to nip in front again. McParland levelled matters before Cormac Gribben busted forward to fire his side into the lead with 9 minutes remaining.

Silverbridge stepped up to win the game with three consecutive points, Aaron Duffy (2) and Joseph Rock made sure of the Silverbridge victory as they saw out a 2-8 to 1-9 win. Although the ‘Bridge still sit bottom of the table, these were an important two points to gain as it leaves them just two points off safety.

Table Toppers Maghery played out a low scoring affair on Saturday evening as the hosted and overcame visitors Killeavy on a score line of 0-7 to 0-5, keeping themselves at the top having lost just twice so far throughout the year.

Senior League B

Granemore jumped to 3rd in the table on Sunday evening with their promotion hopes still very much intact. They hosted a struggling Sarsfields side who have only won once throughout their entire campaign. Granemore ran out 1-11 to 0-12 winners. While Sunday also saw a strong Pearse Ogs performance as they came away with an important win against Culloville. The visitors held a 1-8 to 0-4 lead at the interval while pulling away in the second period to win 2-15 to 0-13. Culloville remain at the rear of the table while the two points allowed the Ogs to jump into second place.

Intermediate League A

Whitecross travelled to Davitt Park on Saturday evening for the only Intermediate League fixture of the day, suffering a 17 point defeat at the hands of Clan na Gael, losing 2-20 to 0-9. On Sunday St Paul’s saw off home side Mullaghbawn in a hugely entertaining affair. St Paul’s led by 3 at the break, 2-8 to 0-11 and held that margin into the second period as they won 3-17 to 0-20.

Mullaghbawn remain at the tip of the table with St Paul’s victory over them bringing the Lurgan side to second place. Clan na Gael’s two points picked up on Saturday sees them leap over Whitecross to take 3rd place, with Whitecross just a point behind them in 4th.