Armagh Club Match Reports 27/06/19 – 30/06/19

Senior League A

Killeavy 2-12 Ballymacnab 1-7

Last season league champions Ballymacnab now find themselves at the bottom of the league with 8 points although they have played one less game than the three teams above them. Killeavy on the other hand have shot into joint second place, on 12 points with Crossmaglen and will look to insure they finish in the top 4 at the conclusion of the league.

The home side got off to a flyer, hitting the first seven points of the game, Miceal McNamee hit the first three points after 10 minutes while Daniel Darragh, Ben Hughes and Caolan McConville all got their name on the score sheet before McNamee hit his 4th of the half. Ballymacnab fought against a strong wind in the opening 30 minutes and could only register a single point through Ruairi Gribben. McConville hit his second to see the hosts head for the changing rooms 0-8 to 0-1 in front.

The introduction of Jack Grugan sparked some life into the Round Towers as the full forward scored within the opening minute of the second period. Pauric Gribben reduced the gap to 5 but his effort was soon cancelled out when McNamee converted another free kick. Gavin McParland gave the ‘Nab some hope but two minutes later Ronan McGuinness broke through and raised the first green flag of the night. Ballymacnab’s uphill battle transformed to a mountain climb.

Oisin McGivern, Jack Grugan and Gavin McParland all scored in a three minutes blitz but Killeavy once again rattled the net with Kyle Mallon this time striking past the goalkeeper. Killeavy went on to hit another three points while Jack Grugan finished off with a three pointer of his own but the game was done and dusted by the time Grugan grabbed the goal, Killeavy winning 2-12 to 1-7.

Crossmaglen 0-8 Silverbridge 3-13

Silverbridge made the short trip to Crossmaglen on Friday evening and settled into the game quickly, firing off 1-3 before Cross scored in the 12th minute. Two points were added by the travelling side before both teams struck three points each just. Seanie McConville pulled one back for the home side to leave them 6 down, 1-8 to 0-5 at half time.

Silverbridge added to their led at the beginning of the half hitting 1-2 before the Rangers got off the mark with Aaron Kernan and McConville trying to reel the ‘Bridge back in but it wasn’t to be as the visitors struck their third goal of the match and ended the game as a contest. Both sides traded scores before the referee called for the ball with Silverbridge dragging themselves from the foot of the table and out of the relegation zone.

Maghery brought their lead at the top of the Senior League to 6 points win an away victory over Cullyhanna, winning 1-8 to 1-3 while Armagh Harps hosted Dromintee on Sunday, losing out on a score line of 0-17 to 1-5.

Senior League B

Granemore 1-16 Sarsfields 1-12

Granemore done their promotion hopes no harm with a win over travelling side Sarsfields on Sunday evening, the hosts leading the contest from start to finish. Granemore were assisted with a strong breeze in the opening half and stormed into a four point lead with Jason O’Neill, Eoin O’Neill (2) and Louis Hughes all on target before Paul McGeown pulled two back in the 10th and 12th minutes.

Jason O’Neill and McGeown knocked over two scores each before Hughes hit his second to extend the lead to three once more. Niall Kerr scored Sarsfields 5th and final point (their 1st from play) while Granemore ended the half similarly to how they started it, reeling off four consecutive points through Eoin O’Neill (45), Louis Hughes (2) and Ciaran Boyd to see the home side ahead at the interval 0-11 to 0-5.

Hughes opened the scoring for the second period, followed closely by a Jason O’Neill pointed free to see their side 8 up. O’Neill and Oisin Smith traded scores before Sarsfields hit a purple patch, Michael Stevenson, Eamon McGeown (2) and Paul McGeown all raised green flags to narrow the margin to 4.

Any hope of a revival was soon shot down however as Jim Shortt’s raiding run saw the ball transferred to Marty Carr who scored the first goal of the game. Eamon McGeown and Kieran Toner both scored, as did Paul McGeown and Eoin O’Neill while the High Moss side earned a penalty in the dying moments of the game. Oisin Smith stepped up to see his effort denied by Kevin Kelly, but the rebound fell to the penalty taker who tucked home the final score of the match, Granemore 1-16 Sarsfields 1-12.

Pearse Ogs and St Peter’s met on Thursday evening with the Ogs running out comfortable winners in the end, 2-17 to 2-9 leaving them in pole position for promotion as they sit two points above the nearest challenges Clann Eireann, although the Lurgan side have a game in hand while Granemore have two more games to play in third.

Intermediate League A

Whitecross 0-13 Mullaghbawn 1-13

Whitecross welcomed Mullaghbawn on Sunday afternoon for their round 11 league clash. The home side got the opening score from the boot of Cathal McSherry after two minutes before Ryan McSherry pointed a free to tie the game. Mullaghbawn answered back through Eddie English’s free but Whitecross fired themselves further ahead with a fisted point from Ryan McSherry while Aidan Finnegan also raised a white flag.

Mullaghbawn rallied however and kicked the next four points before Conor Smith burst through the Whitecross defence and slotted home a goal for the visitors. Before the break Whitecross responded with two points from Ryan McSherry leaving the goal the difference at the interval, Mullaghbawn ahead 1-6 to 0-6.

After the break Mullaghbawn kicked themselves four ahead before Whitecross found their rhythm rattling off the next three scores to make it a one point game. The sides’ swapped scores before Eddie English hit a further two points for the visiting side. Both teams hit three points prior the final whistle but the goal proved to be the deciding factor in the game with Mullaghbawn winning 1-13 to 0-13.

Tir na nOg earned an important victory at home to Clan na Gael on Thursday, Shane McParland led the line for the clans with 0-7 of their total but it wasn’t enough as Tir na nOg pulled away 0-15 to 0-13. Shane O’Neill’s also saw off Middletown quite convincingly with a  0-21 to 1-11 win while Middletown again lost out on Sunday, this time to Wolfe Tones who saw out a 3-8 to 1-8 triumph.

Intermediate League B

Eire Og and Crossmaglen II both sealed their fate on Sunday as both teams will play their football in the Junior division in 2020. Eire Og lost heavily to away side Keady, losing 1-11 to 6-7 while the Rangers didn’t fare much better travelling to Ballyhegan as they were hammered 5-16 to 0-8.

Tullysaran fired up a big score in their victory over Carrickcruppen, the hosts scoring 4-15 while Carrickcruppen hit 2-14. Thursday night saw the Grange host An Port Mor with the Blackwatertown men winning 3-14 to 2-13 thanks to David Curran (1-3) and Cormac Kieran (2-1) as well as centre half forward Gary Traynor who finished the game with 6 points.

Junior League

Clady 0-8 Killeavy II 1-9

Killeavy II earned their 10th victory of the campaign with a hard fought win away to Clady. Killeavy opened the scoring before points from Malachy McGeown, Raymond Gollogly and Christopher Smith send Clady two ahead. Killeavy struck four points in a row, one of which was from their goal keeper Steven McDonnell who struck a 45. Michael Savage pulled one back at the end of the first half to leave one the margin, Killeavy II 0-5 Clady 0-4.

Patrick Smith levelled proceedings at the beginning of the third quarter but Killeavy scored a further two points to go back in front. Tiernan Smith, Ryan Murphy and Sean Smith all hit the target to see the Clady men ahead again. Killeavy saw the game out strongly though, finishing with 1-2 in the final minutes to win 1-9 to 0-8.

Clady also lost out on Tuesday night when home side Clonmore saw out a two point win, 0-12 to 1-7 while Clonmore were able to retain their impressive unbeaten run on Sunday with a 2-12 to 0-8 win at home to Derrynoose, securing promotion to the Intermediate Championship for next season. Corrinshego lost out by the minimum of margins to Belleek on Sunday, losing 2-9 to 2-10.