Junior Championship Match Reports

Clady 3-8 Lissummon 1-12

Clady currently sit top of group 1 after one game with a promising display over Lissummon on Sunday afternoon. Although Lissummon outscored the opposition by three points during the second half it was the first half where the damage was done as Clady finished the opening period five points ahead after hitting the net three times.

Liam Doyle got Clady off to a flyer with a goal to open the scoring before Lissummon hit back with their first point. Doyle responded with a point of his own before Clady once again rattled the Lissummon net, this time through full forward Colm Savage before Conor Doyle furthered Clady’s lead.

Savage was again on target and raised his sides’ third green flag of the half to give Clady a huge lead of 10 points. Lissummon dragged themselves back into the game with a goal followed by three points before Liam Doyle hit the final score of the half, with Clady leading at the break 3-3 to 1-4.

Lissummon narrowed the gap with three points to begin the second period before Paddy Hughes tagged on another for Clady. Gerard McGeown followed with another but Lissummon continued to claw back the lead with a further four unanswered points with the game now tied 3-6 to 1-12.

Clady did pull away in the final few minutes with Liam Doyle once again hitting the target before Gerard McGeown done likewise. This ended the first round tie with Clady coming out on top to lead the group on a score line of 3-8 to 1-12.

Derrynoose 3-15 Mullabrack 0-5

Derrynoose’s first round victory was never in doubt as the away side led from the first minute to the last to sit top of group 4 where they are expected to remain for the rest of the group stages. The visitors built up an 11 point margin by the half time whistle and continued to score freely into the second half.

Two Sean Lennon points were split by a Conall McNally free before Mullabrack got their first score in the 5th minute. McNally furthered his sides advantage with a goal and a point before Mullabrack pulled one back with the margin now 5. It was all Derrynoose until the half time break as McNally hit another goal while Sean Lennon, Peter McKearney and Stephen McKearney added on points to see the score at half time Derrynoose 2-7 Mullabrack 0-2.

Pauric McNaughton and Steven Keenan hit early second half points which were closely followed by Aaron Fox (2) and Mickey McAneaney. Mullabrack opened their second half account but their score was soon cancelled out by another Conall McNally point while a Pauric McNaughton goal fired Derrynoose 19 points ahead.

Steven Keenan traded scores with the opposition as did Kevin McKenna to see out the end of the game with Derrynoose well ahead by the full whistle, the final score Derrynoose 3-15 Mullabrack 0-5.

Group 4 also saw Corrinshego host Redmond O’Hanlon’s with the home side coming away with a six point victory. David Murphy got the all important three-pointer in a dominant first half showing from the Thomas Davis club as they led at the break 1-9 to 0-4 before seeing out the game winning 1-11 to 1-5.

In group 3s only game Dorsey Emmets saw off Collegeland on with five points to spare, 2-13 to 1-11 while in group 2 Belleek dominated their tie with St Michael’s Newtown as they were victorious 1-17 to 0-7 leaving them top of the table on score difference with Killeavy IIs seeing off St Patrick’s IIs 1-13 to 0-12.