Championship Match Reports

Junior Football Championship

Redmond O’Hanlon’s 0-9 Derrynoose 2-17

Derrynoose kept true to form with their second big win of the Junior Championship campaign. Tipped to top the group before a ball was kicked, Derrynoose now sit above the rest having easily dealt with Mullabrack last weekend and similarly saw off Redmond O’Hanlon’s with the minimum of fuss on Sunday.

Derrynoose registered 1-7 before the home side got off the mark in the 18th minute with Pauric McNaughton grabbing the goal following points from Aaron Fox, Conall McNally (2), Stephen Keenan, Stephen McKearney and Pearse Lennon (2). Further scores from Patrick Quinn, Lennon and Sean Leonard handed Derrynoose a 12 point advantage with nine minutes remaining during the opening period.

O’Hanlon’s tagged on their second point but the visitors continued to dominate and overrun the opposition with Sean Lennon and Conall McNally raising a white flag each before the break with Derrynoose ahead by 13 points with the score line Redmond O’Hanlon’s 0-2 Derrynoose 1-12.

Sean Lennon traded scores with the hosts on two occasions in the early stages of the second 30 minutes before O’Hanlon’s hit their third point of the half. All their good work was soon brushed aside when Pearse Lennon hit the net for his sides second major of the game to fire Derrynoose ahead by 15 points.

O’Hanlon’s once again swapped points with Sean Lennon as well as Pauric McNaughton. The home side hit a further two scores before Sean Lennon knocked over the final score of the game with Derrynoose well ahead after 60 minutes, winning 2-17 to Redmond O’Hanlon’s 0-9.

Meanwhile Corrinshego remain in 2nd spot in Group 4 with their second consecutive win, this time over Mullabrack. The away side came saw out a 1-13 to 1-5 victory and next weekend’s tie between Mullabrack and Redmond O’Hanlon’s will decide who makes the play offs and who will exit the championship.

Elsewhere Killeavy IIs remain top of the second group with a convincing win at home to Newtown, winning 6-20 to 2-5 while Belleek saw out a 3-14 to 2-7 victory over St Patrick’s to set up a winner takes all tie with Killeavy and Belleek to see who makes it through to the quarter final stages.

Clonmore got their Championship campaign off to a flying start in Group 1, overcoming the challenge of Lissummon on a score line of Clonmore 1-17 Lissummon 2-8. In Group 3 Forkhill fought off Dorsey to win 4-10 to 2-12, with both sides joined at top of the table, Forkhill ahead on head to head.

Intermediate Football Championship

Grange 1-8 Clan na Gael 1-15

The Lurgan side came away with an important victory over the home team after an exciting evening of action. A tight first half lead to a tense and nervy second with the game spilling over for a brief period mid way through the second period. Grange had three men sent to the line in opening 20 minutes of the second half and ultimately this cost them the game as Stefan Campbell and co scored 1-5 to 0-1 in the final 10 minutes.

The first half became a shootout between the two full forwards with Shane McParland opening the scoring after two minutes. Ethan Rafferty, who wore the number 10 shirt but was stationed at full forward, brought the Grange level before McParland and Rafferty swapped scores once again.

Three pointed frees from McParland gave the Clans a hold of the contest but Grange clawed themselves back into the game with Ben Toal, Cathal McKenna and Ethan Rafferty (free) all finding the target. Miceal McKenna won the resulting kick out and sent the ball to the edge of the square where Rafferty gained possession and struck low to the net to put Grange 1-5 to 0-5 in front.

Clan na Gael did pull one back with the ever reliable Shane McParland (his sides only scorer in the opening half) once again finding his range from the dead ball, a 45 this time, to narrow the gap to two points heading into the break, the score board reading Grange 1-5 Clan na Gael 0-6.

The half was just two minutes old when Mark Toal was sent to the line after an altercation with Stefan Campbell. Ben Toal hit an early free to put a goal between the teams before the Clans took full advantage of the extra man with Niall Henderson, Stefan Campbell and Shane McParland landing points to tie the game.

Grange were dealt another huge blow when their main man Ethan Rafferty was shown a red card but they kept their noses in front through a Cathal McKenna free kick. Mel Patterson raced forward from his defensive duties and equalised the game with the sides tide, Grange 1-7 Clan na Gael 0-10.

The third and final red card flashed when Miceal McKenna’s black card offence added to the yellow card he picked up in the first half. The game spilled over at this stage with both benches getting entangled with the players on the field but when play did resume Clan na Gael took full advantage of their three extra men.

Substitute Caolan Campbell collected possession from a high ball to the square that broke in his favour and his left footed drive found the back of the net to fire Clans into a three point lead. The Blues captain Ronan Austin then stepped forward to kick a mighty score with 10 minutes remaining.  

Grange did pull one back through Cathal McKenna but Clan na Gael continued on their upward curve with Stefan Campbell(2), Shane McParland and Diarmuid Loney all getting in on the action to see out a seven point victory in favour of the Lurgan men, with the final score Grange 1-8 Clan na Gale 1-15.

Grange Scorers: Ethan Rafferty 1-3 (1 free), Cathal McKenna 0-3 (1 free), Ben Toal 0-2 (1 free).

Clan na Gael: Shane McParland 0-8 (4 free, 1 45), Stefan Campbell 0-3, Caolan Campbell 1-0, Niall Henderson 0-1, Mel Patterson 0-1, Ronan Austin 0-1, Diarmuid Loney 0-1.

Eire Og and Shane O’Neill’s also played in Group 1 on Sunday evening with the away team Shane O’Neill’s edging a closely fought contest to come away with a 2-16 to 3-10 victory. Wolfe Tones sit top of Group 2 as they overcame Carrickcruppen on Sunday afternoon, leading at the final whistle 0-17 to 2-9.

On Saturday evening Tir na nOg travelled to An Port Mor and came away with an important five point victory, winning 2-15 to 1-13 while St Paul’s saw off Ballyhegan by seven points 2-13 to 0-11. Mullaghbawn got their Championship campaign off to a brilliant start with an away victory over Tullysaran.

Gerard McCann struck the net in the opening two minutes and set the tone for the game as Mullaghbawn led at the interval 1-8 to 1-2, with Eddie Mallon scoring the hosts three pointer. The half time margin could have been more as Eoghan McDonnell missed a first half penalty but Mullaghbawn continued their momentum into the second half and came out on top with 10 points to spare, 1-15 to 1-5.