Shamrock’s send Sean Treacy’s tumbling out of Ulster

Sean Treacy’s 0-13 Newry Shamrocks 1-13

It was Jordan Murphy’s goal in the 8th minute of the second period which was the difference between the sides at the final whistle but Eoin McGuinness’ three heroic points in the final moments of the contest ultimately handed Newry Shamrocks the win. The goal came at a crucial stage as the game seemed to be slipping away from the Newry men.

Newry Shamrock’s were quickest off the mark with Ruairi Campbell tapping over a point after Conor McPolin’s free shot at goal had dropped short, with the Sean Treacy’s keeper failing to deal with the dropping ball. Shamrocks hit their second two minutes later and centre half back Artie McGuinness made no mistake from 65 meters.

Campbell was causing serious problems for the Lurgan sides defence and they struggled to deal with his powerful running ability. The number 11 broke through to strike his sides’ third point and give them a comfortable lead after just three minutes. Sean Treacy’s did get off the mark with the next score coming from a Danny Magee free after Magee himself had been fouled.

Sean Treacy’s cut the deficit to the minimum with an outrages effort from near the sideline by Joe McKeever sailing between the posts. Artie McGuinness launched two long range efforts (both frees) over the bar before Danny Magee again disrupted Shamrocks momentum with a placed ball effort.

While Shamrocks were undoubtedly the best team in the first half, Sean Treacy’s finished strongest with a superb strike from Shay McStravick splitting the posts before Joe McKeever knocked over his second in additional time to ensure the men in maroon entered the interval on level terms, the teams tied at 0-5 each.

Sean Treacy’s carried on from where they left off in the first half and hit the opening five points of the second period to go ahead by double scores. Danny Magee chipped over a free while Neil Corey saw his perfectly measured shot drift over the bar. Rory Shine got his first before Corey and Michael Doran hit the target with Sean Treacy’s now looking likely to pull away.

Then came the game changing goal, a turnover from captain Gary Courtney in defence began an attack which ended with a high ball lumped into the square and Jordan Murphy flicking the ball past the keeper and cutting the margin between the sides to two points. Treacy’s responded brilliantly however and Joe McKeever’s point seemed to settle his side.

Newry Shamrocks went on to hit the next three points through Conor McPolin (free), Niall Lennon and Artie McGuinness (65) to put the sides on level terms heading into the final five minutes of normal time. Again Danny Magee put his team in front with Treacy’s seeming doing just enough to sneak through with a win.

But Newry Shamrocks had other ideas and they fired over the next four points to put themselves firmly in the driving seat. Ryan Courtney tied the match while points from Eoin McGuinness (2) and Sean Campbell sent the men in green and white three points in front as the game headed towards additional time.

Sean Treacy’s came so close to levelling the score when substitute Patrick Lyness sent through Shay McStravick who would have to settle for a point when his shot at goal was blasted over the bar. Shamrock’s got the final score of the evening, and it was fitting that Eoin McGuinness struck the final blow to Sean Treacy’s Ulster hopes as the big full forward played an essential role in getting his men over the line!

Sean Tracey Scorers: Danny Magee (0-4), Joe McKeever (0-3), Neil Corry (0-2), Shay McStravick (0-2), Michael Doran (0-1), Rory Shine (0-1).

Newry Shamrock Scorers: Artie McGuiness (0-4), Eoin McGuinness (0-3), Jordan Murphy (1-0), Ruairi Campbell (0-2), Ryan Courtney (0-1), Niall Lennon (0-1), Sean Campbell (0-1), Conor McPolin (0-1).