Under 21 Senior and Intermediate Finals Match Reports

Carrickcruppen 3-15 Clan na Gael 0-6

In truth this game failed to reach any level of intensity and Carrickcruppen were by far the superior side throughout the 60 plus minutes of action. Two first half goals gave Cruppen a big 13 point lead at the interval and Clan na Gael loss of discipline summed up a frustrating day for the Lurgan side.

A sloppy start from both teams did little to entertain the crowd but once Carrickcruppen burst into action they weren’t to be stopped. Clans did open the scoring through their only scorer in the first half, Diarmuid Loney, before Cruppen levelled matters with a sensational outside of the boot effort Tiernan Kelly.

Carrickcruppen shot in front through Eoin Woods but once more Loney split the posts, from the dead ball this time. Woods doubled his tally following a strong direct run through the Clans defence and this was the first of 8 points without reply while Cruppen also added two goals during this time.

Tiernan Kelly (2), Jack Cunningham, Jason Dobbin, Eoin Woods, Aidan Matthews and Richard Keenan (free) all split the posts, while Matthews effort could have easily went under the crossbar as great work from Tiernan Kelly left Matthews with the opportunity to palm the ball home to the net but unfortunately he tapped the ball over the bar.

Matthews would make no mistake two minutes later however and this time it was Eoin Woods who sent through the big full forward and Aidan Matthews powered the ball into the Clan na Gael net. 60 seconds later Richard Keenan played a quick 1-2 with Tiernan Kelly and Keenan raised his sides second green flag of the game.

Things only went from bad to worse for Clan na Gael, with their captain Sam McClarnon receiving his marching orders for a second yellow card offence minutes before the short whistle. There was still time for Clans to hit the final score of the half with Loney getting his third, with the score Carrickcruppen 2-10 Clan na Gael 0-3 at the break.

The second half had barely began when Clan na Gael received their second red card, their only scorer and centre half forward Diarmuid Loney saw red after just 42 seconds of the restart. Cian France took over free kicking duties after Loney’s dismissal and struck the opening score of the second period.

Cruppen tagged on a further two scores with Keenan and Sean Watters hitting the target while France converted his second free of the game. Watters bombed forward for another score before Cruppen buried the final nail into the Lurgan sides coffin. A great flowing move saw Peter Quinn play in James Bennett with a Paul McGrane style flick and Quinn placed the ball low into the net for his sides second major.

Clans would add one more point in the remaining 10 minutes while also being reduced to 11 men with Emmett McKerr (straight) and Aaron McCreanor (second yellow) both sent to the line. Cruppen added points through Richard Keenan (free) and Aaron Foley to see them comfortably claim the Intermediate trophy, 3-15 to 0-6.

Clann Eireann 4-13 Granemore 0-9

Similarly to the first game in the Athletic Grounds yesterday, the Senior showpiece was all one way traffic with Granemore failing to live with the pace and quality within the Clann Eireann ranks. The Lurgan side boasted a strong starting 15 with many of their team the main players for their senior side.

Granemore were in the game early on, but it was Ruairi McDonald’s 17th minute goal that put the game to bed and it was shooting practise after for Clann Eireann. Conor Turbitt was unplayable at times in the Clann Eireann attack and he scored the opening three points of the contest, his second a thing of beauty, where he swivelled on to his left foot and coolly slotted the ball over the bar.

Reece Butter cut the deficit to two with Granemore’s first but Turbitt cancelled out Butter’s effort with his 4th of the contest, 3rd from the dead ball. Granemore could have tied the game when Ben O’Neill raced through on goal but Eoghan Mulholland made himself big and excellently turned the ball out for a 45.

Clann Eireann would make no mistake when they were presented with a goal chance, made and finished by Ruairi McDonald. An unforced error saw the ball turned over by McDonald as he galloped through on goal with only one thought on his mind and he left the keeper with no chance as he fired the ball to the corner of the net.

Odhran Doyle replied for Granemore but McDonald added to his goal with his 1st point. Clann Eireann would find the net once again with the next move as Turbitt turned provided and sent the ball across the face of goal where the waiting Jack Conlon palmed the ball into the net for the easiest or finishes.

Ben O’Neill split the posts for the St Mary’s side but Clann Eireann kicked on just before the break, grabbing the next three points in a row through Aodhan McConville and Turbitt (2) before man of the match Tiernan Kelly burst through the Granemore defence and blasted the ball to the roof of the net, to see Clann Eireann ahead 3-8 to 0-3 at half time.

Clann Eireann could have gone further in front with the crossbar denying Barry McCambridge a three-pointer while Aodhan McConville opened the scoring five minutes into the second half. Granemore replied through Michael King as he kicked his side’s 4th point with a left footer free kick.

Granemore’s day continued to get worse when their midfielder Marty Carr was shown a second yellow card but Granemore did hit a purple patch after this. Turbitt found the target once again while Granemore hit four unanswered points through Kieran Doyle, Kevin Carr and Reece Butter (2).

This failed to threaten Clann Eireann however and points from Ruairi McDonald and Aodhan McConville put them 13 points ahead. Ben O’Neill tagged one on for his side while at the other end Tiernan Kelly powered through the Granemore defence and found McDonald who dispatched his second goal of the game.

Granemore were reduced to 13 players as Michael King was harshly sent to the line but the game was well over at this stage. Turbitt finished as he started as slotted over the final score of the game to see Clann Eireann crowned Senior Champions, with the final score Clann Eireann 4-13 Granemore 0-9.