Armagh GAA Club Match Reports – Round Three

Division 1A

Pearse Ogs 0-8 Ballymacnab 0-10

The Ogs will look back on this game as one that got away. For long spells, Shane McConville’s men were in control of the contest, but just couldn’t make it count.

Having recorded five unanswered points to lead 6-4 at the break, two points was all they could rustle up in the second 30 minutes of action.

Some wayward shooting from the home side kept Ballymacnab in the game before Bernie Murray’s men pushed on in the second period to pick up maximum points.

Four half time substitutes turned the tide for Round Towers, and they were ahead within eight minutes of the restart.

Aodhan Toner clipped over three points on the night, two of which came early in the game and were beautifully executed from awkward angles.

Paul Duffy proved a real handful at full forward and was the vocal point of the Ogs attacking threat, grabbing their opening score and always being an option.

Pauric Gribben and Vincy Brady (45) traded points before the Ogs began to dominate the contest by controlling possession.

Shea Freeman, Paul Duffy (free), Anto Duffy and Conor Clarke (free) all raised white flags to take a two-point lead into the break.

The introduction of Michael Beagan, Ryan Kennedy and Brian McCone seemed to settle the men in maroon as they began to get to grips with the game.

Aodhan Toner and Grugan (two) helped their side take the lead before the Nab added another score to go ahead 0-8 to 0-6.

Marc Cullen chipped over a point from the dead ball before Michael Beagan struck a glorious effort to keep his side ahead.

The teams exchanged scores once again before Rory Grugan hit a crucial 65th minute point to bring his tally to 0-4 and most importantly, to secure a 0-10 to 0-8 win.

Crossmaglen got their season back on track with a convincing 13-point win over an out of form Armagh Harps side.

The home team had built up a strong eight-point deficit by the halfway stage and two second half goals denied the Harps any chance of a comeback.

Dromintee continued their stunning start to the league campaign with their third successive win on Friday evening.

They hosted Killeavy and the sides were evenly matched during the first half, with the score Dromintee 0-5 Killeavy 1-2 at half time.

The margin was three by the time the final whistle sounded, with the home side winning 0-10 to 1-4.

Granemore also picked up an impressive two points on Friday evening when they hosted the defending league champions Maghery.

The game proved to be a tight contest during the opening exchanges with neither side looking likely to pull away.

Granemore were the first team to head for the finish line with three second half points giving them some breathing space.

Brian McIlmurray netted for the visitors but Granemore hit five of the final seven scores of the game to earn a hard-fought 0-12 to 1-8 victory.

Division 1B

Clann Eireann 0-13 Madden 2-13

A goal either side of the turnaround helped the traveling Madden side pick up their first two points of the 2020 league campaign.

Two youngsters in Ryan Carmichael and Joe Sheridan picked up the crucial, game-winning goals, with six points the difference in the end.

The sides were evenly matched during the opening exchanges, the goal was the only difference at half time.

Conor Grimley levelled for Madden after Conor Turbitt had edged his side ahead, with both teams sitting on 0-4 in the first half.

Man of the Match Carmichael hit the net to hand his side a three-point advantage, before also raising a white flag, with Niall Grimley doing likewise.

Turbitt was the dangerman up front for the home side and he recorded a few scores to see his side trail by three midway through the game, 1-6 to 0-6.

Niall Smith, Joe Sheridan and Aron McKenna were all on target to start the second period and this stretched the Madden advantage to six.

Turbitt kept his side in contention with his accuracy from placed balls, hitting four points, with Carmichael offering Madden’s only reply.

With the game still in the balance, Madden struck another crucial blow when Joe Sheridan raised another green flag and pushed his side six points ahead.

The Clann Eireann sharpshooter Turbitt saw his final three scores matched by McKenna, Rafferty and Carmichael as Madden held onto their six-point lead at the final whistle.

Mullaghbawn got their first two points of the 2020 season with an impressive away victory over St Peter’s.

The home side lead 0-4 to 0-2 early on before Mullaghbawn began to turn the tide, heading into the break 7-5 to the good.

St Peter’s flew out of the blocks with three points in quick succession, but Mullaghbawn struck two goals to get back on top, the second one a real, eye-catching team goal.

The two majors were ultimately the winning of the game as Mullaghbawn lead 2-11 to 0-11 at the end of the game.

Silverbridge were too good for Annaghmore on Friday evening and their class showed on the score board, winning in impressive fashion, 1-19 to 0-8.

Table-toppers Grange and Cullyhanna couldn’t be separated in their round three clash, when they met on Friday.

St Pat’s build up a 0-7 to 0-3 half time lead, but the visitors came roaring back in the second period to get back to level terms.

Grange recorded 12 points in the second 30 minutes to match Cullyhanna’s 2-2, with the game ending St Pat’s 2-9 Grange 0-15.

Division 2A

Shane O’Neill’s were six-points the better side when they travelled to Culloville for their round three clash on Friday evening.

The sides contested a hard-fought opening 30 minutes, with the hosts taking the initiative to lead 0-5 to 0-4 at half time.

Shane’s improved in the second period as the Camlough men notched the games only goal to win 1-12 to 0-9.

Elsewhere in the division, St Paul’s defeated Tir na nOg in the only other Division 2A clash on Friday night.

The eventual winners were behind 1-6 to 0-5 at the break but surged to 1-11 to 1-9 win after a strong second half showing.

Division 2B

Clonmore remain ahead of the chasing pack as they picked up their third win in as many games when they met Collegeland in round three.

Mark Lyttle hit a first half goal to fire the away side into a 1-6 to 0-1 lead, before being ahead 1-7 to 0-3 at the short whistle.

They were able to keep their rivals at arm’s length throughout the second half and saw out a six-point win, 1-12 to 0-9.

Goals win games and Carrickcruppen were full value for their impressive seven-point victory over Keady in round three.

Stephen Loughran was on target within the opening minutes on to raise a green flag as a confident ‘Cruppen side took control of the contest early on.

Tiernan Kelly also rattled the net during the first 30 minutes of action, smashing a penalty into the back of the net after John McCullough had been fouled.

The two goals were the difference between the sides at the break with Carrickcruppen six points to the good, 2-3 to 0-3.

Kelly was once the again the goal-scorer as the home side continued to assert their dominance, winning 3-7 to 0-9 in the end.

Middletown got their season up and running with a surprising 10-point win when they hosted An Port Mor on Friday.

The sides were tied at the break with Cormac Kieran hitting the halves only goal, to see the score Middletown 0-6 An Port Mor 1-3.

The home side experienced a remarkable second half showing and held the opposition to just one point, seeing out a 1-17 to 1-7 win, with Ryan Gaffney grabbing the goal.

Junior Division

Derrynoose 3-14 Dorsey 1-5

Derrynoose continued their winning run with a third victory on the trot, defeating Dorsey at home on Friday evening.

After seeing off Killeavy IIs and Redmond O’Hanlon’s in recent weeks, a tougher test was expected this weekend.

That’s not how the game transpired however, as Derrynoose were the dominant side after the opening quarter.

The hosts didn’t have it all their own way during the opening exchanges, as Dorsey lead 1-1 to 0-2 after ten minutes.

The visitors would fail to record another score during the first period, as Derrynoose began to display their good form.

Kevin McKenna’s goal gave them the lead while points from Conor McNally (2) and Oisin McNally gave the home side a 1-5 to 1-1 half time lead.

Derrynoose carried their momentum into the second period and Paddy McGrane’s goal stretched the lead to eight, following points through Davy McCreesh and Conor McNally.

Dorsey tagged on a brace of scores before McCreesh struck the games third goal, with the result now beyond doubt.

McNally was unrelenting and continued to torment the Dorsey rear-guard with several second half points.

Derrynoose were full value for their 15-point winning margin and remain top of the table with three wins from three games.

Mullabrack and Newtown played out a tight, hard-fought encounter and it was the St Michael’s side that game away with a victory, 0-10 to 0-12.

Belleek also picked up two points on Friday evening in convincing fashion, defeating Corrinshego 6-10 to 1-7.