Armagh GAA Club Match Reports – Round Three

How the Division 1A and 1B tables look after round three

Division 2A

Whitecross 1-8 Sarsfields 1-13

This game was always difficult to call with both teams in good form. Whitecross experienced their first loss of the season on Sunday while the High Moss men shot to the top of the table.

Eamon and Paul McGeown were on song for the away side, with the pair sharing seven points between them.

The game opened as a tight, cagey affair with the away side taking the ascendancy early on with a 3-1 lead.

Neil McSherry struck three first-half points for Whitecross but Sarsfields rose to the challenge and headed into the break with a one-point advantage.

A goalkeeping error allowed the home side to steal the lead for the first time in the game with Cathal McSherry afforded the simple opportunity of easing the ball into the net.

Ryan McSherry added a score to push Whitecross further ahead, the score now 1-5 to 0-5 just after the interval.

Niall Boyle and Conor Malone both found the target for the in-form hosts as they stretched their lead to five points.

Sarsfields eventually opened their account for the second half and hit a purple patch of their own to level the game.

Malone once more displayed his accuracy to nudge Whitecross ahead by the minimum, but it was all Sarsfields at this stage.

With time almost up, Kevin McAlinden raised his sides first green flag to accompany the two points he hit earlier to give Sarsfields a hard-fought 1-13 to 1-8 victory.

Tullysaran picked up their second win of the league campaign and it’s fair to say this one was as impressive as it gets.

They travelled to Lurgan in hope rather than expectation as they came up against one of the favourites for not only the league, but the Intermediate Championship.

But the visitors dug out an eye-catching win, beating Clan na Gael 0-14 to 0-15.

Division 2B

Wolfe Tones remain in the hunting for a shot at promotion as they continued their unbeaten run on Sunday afternoon.

They met a Ballyhegan side who have yet to pick up a point this season, but the hosts pushed the eventual winners all the way.

Wolfe Tones secured the tightest of winning margins, with one point the difference at the end, 0-11 to 0-10.

Junior Division

Eire Og once again sent a signal out to the rest of the teams in the Junior Division that they mean business this year.

Following relegation last season, the Lurgan side look eager to bounce right back up to Intermediate football and displayed that desire with another big win on Sunday.

Following on from victories over Clady and Mullabrack, their round three encounter with Forkhill promised to be their toughest challenge yet.

And that’s how it proved. An Eire Og goal was the crucial score of the game as they edged through with one point to spare.

Forkhill looked in control with a four-point lead heading into the latter stages of the match before the game-changing score arrived.

A shot at goal was foot-blocked and the referee pointed to the spot, with the ball dispatched to the net for the game’s only goal.

The away side were fit to grind out an important win, with one point the difference at the final whistle, 1-13 to 0-15.

Clady remain on two points following their third defeat of the season as Redmond O’Hanlon’s proved to be too strong.

The travelling side notched three goals to capture the maximum points on offer to secure their first victory of the season, winning 3-7 to 1-6.