Team of the Week – Week Four

Joby Burke (Keady)

Burke may have ended up on the losing side against Middletown, but the margin would have been much more if it weren’t for the Keady netminder. Pulled off a brilliant double save in the first half and another superb stop in the second to keep his side in the game.

Conor Magennis (Killeavy)

Was a late introduction to the Killeavy line up but certainly earned his place. Performed heroically in corner back against several different opponents, with great tackling ability, earning turnovers and breaking forward at serious pace.

Chris Rafferty (Pearse Ogs)

Scored a point early in the game but it was his switch to full back where Rafferty really caught the eye. He thwarted Maghery’s long ball tactic by going toe-to-toe with Ronan Lappin, but the move came too late as the damage had already been done.

Shea Gaffney (Middletown)

The Middletown full back was crucial in denying Keady a chance to get back into contention as Middletown searched for the finish line. Defended the square heroically and turned over several Keady attacks when they needed a goal.

Kyle Mallon (Killeavy)

Even when Crossmaglen were on top, Mallon was still performing well, breaking out with eye-catching pace from his own defence. The wing half back also popped up on the scoresheet, hitting a point in each half.

Stephen Cusack (Maghery)

His influence was sorely missed against Clann Eireann in the quarter final as Cusack remains key to Maghery’s game plan. Constantly roams forward while not neglecting his defensive duties, it was Cusack’s 1-1 in the first half that ultimately won the game.

Jamie Cosgrove (Killeavy)

Another Killeavy player that performed gallantly for his side, pushing Crossmaglen to the pin of their collar. Cosgrove drove his men forward in search of victory and made a few brilliant turnovers around the middle third of the field.

Stephen Morris

The young midfielder has become a real leader in the Crossmaglen team, and he once again displayed these attributes on Sunday. He ran the show in the first half, claiming numerous midfield marks and hitting three points in the opening thirty minutes.

Patrick McBride (Middletown)

Worked hard all evening long, McBride is a vital member of the Middletown team. Darted forward at every opportunity, putting the opposition on the back foot, and set up several scores as Middletown began to pull away.

Stefan Forker (Maghery)

His three first half points against Pearse Ogs were outstanding, swinging over from at least 45 metres on all three occasions. Forker hit two scores in the crucial fifteen minutes after the water break that basically put the game out of reach for the Ogs.

Ciaron O’Hanlon (Killeavy)

O’Hanlon may have been carrying a hamstring issue into this game, but it certainly didn’t show on Sunday. The former Armagh star raised his hand when Killeavy didn’t someone to bring the fight to Cross and his two points were sublime.

Dara O’Callaghan (Crossmaglen)

Still only 18 years of age, O’Callaghan proved to be an old head on young shoulders with the coolness he displayed against Killeavy. With their backs against the wall, O’Callaghan stood up to strike two vitals scores to get Crossmaglen over the line.

Cian McConville (Crossmaglen)

The young corner forward continues to impress and McConville as become an essential part of the Crossmaglen line up. Scored three points in the opening half and another in the second, a beautiful curling effort from near the corner flag.

Fionntan Donnelly (Keady)

The Keady free taker was accountable for 0-13 of his sides 0-16 in their loss to Middletown. All Donnelly’s points came from the dead ball, but he hit some from extremely difficult angles, on his wrong side, and won a lot of the frees by himself.

Ronan Lappin (Maghery)

Rafferty may have halted Lappin’s influence on proceedings after the break, but his first half showing was enough to guarantee entrance into the final. Lappin caused consternation in the Ogs defence, winning a penalty, scoring a point, and setting up a lot more.