Championship Match Reports

Belleek 3-15 Newtown 0-3

It was a long day at the office for the St Michael’s Newtown men as they were well off the pace Belleek set on Sunday evening.

Twenty-four minutes went by before the underdogs opened their account and Belleek had notched on 2-4 by that stage.

Callum O’Neill performed brilliantly in the middle of the field and he got his side off the mark with a pointed free five minutes in.

Sean McCreesh and James McParland tagged on a score apiece before the opening goal of the game arrived.

It was McParland who got on the end of it, after Sean Og Boyle played through the corner forward, McParland blasting to the net to continue Belleeks momentum.

They once again raised a green flag after the water break, with Callum O’Neill darting through the Newtown defence.

He shipped the ball to Mark McParland, who squared possession to the waiting Drew McVerry, punching home the easiest of goals.

McVerry added a point to his sides growing tally while Newtown opened their account at the other end with a Benny Davidson free.

Belleek continued to overrun their opponents with the final four points of the half coming through Lorcan Quinn (45), James McParland and Sean McCreesh (two).

This gave the favourites a substantial lead at the half time break as they were well ahead, 2-8 to 0-1.

The same narrative continued with four points on the trot coming from McCreesh (two, one free) and Callum O’Neill (two, one free).

Benny Davidson fired over a further two scores from the dead ball for St Michael’s, split by another brilliant Callum O’Neill effort.

McCreesh tagged on a further score with O’Neill this time turning provider while Belleek rattled the net for the third time.

Substitute Kieran Connolly fired past the Newtown netminder, with McCreesh delivering the assist.

O’Neill fittingly got the final score of the day with another pointed free as Belleek ran out easy winners.

They now beat Forkhill in the Junior Championship Final which will take place in two weeks’ time.

Belleek Scorers: James McParland (1-3), Callum O’Neill (0-5), Sean McCreesh (0-5), Drew McVerry (1-1), Kieran Connolly (1-0), Lorcan Quinn (0-1).

Newtown Scorers: Benny Davidson (0-3). 

Clan na Gael 1-14 Keady 0-11

Clan na Gael set up an all-Lurgan Intermediate Final after seeing off Keady on Sunday evening by six points.

The margin probably doesn’t do the game justice but Clans were the better team on display and deserve their place in the final against St Paul’s.

Stefan Campbell was the difference between the sides as the county captain gave an outstanding display.

His darting run for the Clans goal was breath-taking while he also found the target himself on numerous occasions.

Campbell picked up a head injury early on and once reintroduced after a blood sub, he switched to full forward and starred in the role.

He kicked two of the opening three points (one free) with Shane McPartlan slotting over as well from the dead ball.

Keady got back into it and with four unanswered points, took the lead. Two Odhran Fullerton points before the water break closed the gap before his side went ahead.

A brilliant turnover in defence from Dean Nugent sent Keady on another attack, ending with a huge score from Ryan Donnelly.

Sean McCabe nudged Keady ahead following great work from Conor Hughes before Niall Henderson levelled the game.

Eugene McDonnell edged Keady one up before the game-changing score came, with Campbell heavily involved.

He left the Keady defence for dead with his powerful, darting run and showed his unselfish streak by switching possession.

Mel Patterson was on hand to receive the ball and he rattled the net for the games first and only goal.

‘Soupy’ added a huge score just before to see his side in front as the half time whistle sounded, 1-5 to 0-5.

Conor Hughes dragged Keady back into contention with two quick fire points at the beginning of the second period.

Niall Henderson and Campbell traded scores with Keady’s Conor Corvan and Conor Hughes to keep the games margin to just a single point.

Niall McCann, who made a telling contribution after coming on, rattled off two points, split by another effort from Campbell to go four ahead.

Hughes continued to trouble the Lurgan defence with another two points before Clans drove on for home with four unanswered scores.

Henderson, Campbell (free), McPartlan and McCann all raised white flags to see their side through to the decider.

Clan na Gael Scorers: Stefan Campbell (0-6), Mel Patterson (1-0), Niall Henderson (0-3), Niall McCann (0-3), Shane McPartlan (0-2).

Keady Scorers: Conor Hughes (0-5), Odhran Fullerton (0-2), Ryan Donnelly (0-1), Sean McCabe (0-1), Eugene McDonnell (0-1), Conor Corvan (0-1).