Hurlers win opening day Nicky Rackard contest

Armagh 1-21 Leitrim 0-12

Armagh made their way to the next round of the Nicky Rackard Cup with a convincing win over Leitrim on Saturday afternoon.

The home side led by ten by the halfway stage and could have been further ahead but for some wayward shooting.

Stephen Renaghan traded scores early on with Colm Moreton before Armagh took control of the contest.

Martin Moan, who was a constant threat in the first half, put Armagh ahead while Nathan Curry opened his account.

Moan hit a classy score from the sideline while Paddy McBride burst forward from midfield to slot over a score.

Leitrim free take Gavin O’Hagan grabbed three scores, match by Moan and Curry (2) while Curry continued to drive over dead ball opportunities.

Conor Corvan added his name to the scoresheet while Paddy McBride tagged on a further two scores for his side.

Corvan and Curry ended the half with a point apiece as The Orchard County led 0-15 to 0-5 at the short whistle.

Leitrim did stage a comeback in the second half as Armagh seemed to take their foot off the pedal, but the visitors couldn’t get the goal they so desperately needed.

Instead it was Armagh who rattled the net, with substitute Shaun Toal firing home a goal after Eoin McGuinness played his through.

Leitrim played very direct in the second period, with route one hurling the go to tactic, but the Armagh defence stood strong.

Artie McGuinness and Tiarnan Nevin were on hand to clear away any danger while goalkeeper Simon Doherty pulled off two super saves.

Corvan, Connor Devlin and Danny Magee all added scores to keep the scoreboard ticking over and to keep Leitrim at arm’s length.

Nathan Curry added seventh of the game as Armagh ran out easy winners in the end, with twelve points to spare at the final whistle.

Armagh Scorers: Nathan Curry (0-7), Martin Moan (0-4), Conor Corvan (0-3), Paddy McBride (0-3), Shaun Toal (1-0), Eoin McGuinness (0-1), Stephen Renaghan (0-1), Danny Magee (0-1), Connor Devlin (0-1).