Armagh Club Match Reports

Division 1A

Granemore 1-8 Killeavy 0-11

Granemore were the hosts on Sunday afternoon as they opened their league account with a draw against Killeavy.

A first half goal for the home side looked a key score but it was hard to separate both teams in this tight affair.

Killeavy have towering midfielder James Donnelly to thank for capturing a share of the spoils with a monster score at the death.

It was all square after 20 minutes with Jason O’Neill (2) and Oisin King (2) exchanging scores while Ronan McGuinness and Padraig Doyle did likewise to make it 0-3 each.

Granemore shot ahead after some tidy hand passes cut open the Killeavy defence and Eoghan O’Neill sent a rocket to the back of the net.

The home side were well on top at this stage but lost their main marksman Jason O’Neill to a head injury and didn’t capitalise on their purple patch.

Miceal McNamee and Eoghan O’Neill (free) traded scores, as did Oisin King and Finbar Conroy before Ciaran Cosgrove knocked over the final score of the half.

The goal was the deciding factor during the opening 30 minutes, and it helped Granemore hold a 1-5 to 0-6 lead at the interval.

Oisin King, who recorded a personal tally of 0-7, shot Killeavy into the lead with three points (two frees) at the beginning of the second period.

Eoghan O’Neill replied with one from the dead ball before King struck the score of the game, a terrific curling effort from close to the end line.

Again, O’Neill levelled with a pointed free before Ryan Rafferty swung over his first to hand Granemore the lead with only minutes left.

Killeavy had one last say however and it was James Donnelly’s huge kick that earned his side a draw.

Elsewhere in Division 1A Pearse Og got their season off to a great start when the gathered two points at home to an inexperienced Crossmaglen side.

The Rangers build up a half time lead with a Dara O’Callaghan goal during the opening period seeing them in front 1-3 to 0-3.

The home side returned a new team after the short whistle, striking an unanswered 1-7, with Conor Clarke raising the green flag to win 1-12 to 1-7.

Division 2A

St Paul’s 0-8 Tullysaran 1-9

Tullysaran’s first game of the new season got them off to a good start with a hard fought away win at St Paul’s.

From the throw in, Tullysaran were quick to find their stride with Eddie Mallon pointing a free kick before Gavin Conlon expertly hit the net.

Conlon added another point prior to the home side shooting back with a score of their own just before the water break.

Mark McKeever and Conlon traded scores with the home side after the restart with Tullysaran holding a 1-4 to 0-3 lead at the half time break.

The Lurgan side now at the winds at their back and they fired over three great scores from distance to reduce to gap to the minimum of margins.

Tullysaran responded well with a pointed free from the trusty left boot of Gavin Conlon and a fisted point by Eddie Mallon.

The home side added two more scores but Tullysaran finished best with points from Ryan McCreesh and Mark McKeever to secure a four-point win.

Junior Division

Forkhill 1-12 Redmond O’Hanlon’s 0-8

Although Forkhill will compete in the Intermediate Championship this year, they still have to finish their remaining Junior League games and get up and running with a win.

Cormac Toner got the home side off to a good start with two early pointed frees with O’Hanlon’s response coming from Charlie Magill.

Oisin Flynn and Darren King added scores before Conor Hughes fisted over a point for the visitors just after the water break.

Shea Coleman fired over two points for Forkhill while Magill reduced the deficit to three once again with another converted free kick.

Owen Donaghy traded scores with O’Hanlon’s sharp-shooter Magill just before the half time whistle sounded, with Forkhill ahead 0-7 to 0-4.

The Poyntzpass top scorer Magill hit a brace at the beginning of the second half to cut the margin to a single point but that’s as close as they could get.

Cormac Toner hit another two more, split by the only goal of the game, coming from the boot of Darren King to add to his earlier point.

Conor Hughes knocked over his sides 7th point just after the second water break but Toner was quick to cancel out that score.

Magill and Toner continued to display their accuracy, but the goal was always going to be the crucial score and Forkhill picked up the first two points of the year.

Eire Og 0-7 Belleek 1-6

Last years beaten finalists Belleek got up and running with a victory on Sunday, when they saw off table-toppers Eire Og.

It was the Craigavon side who started the brightest with Paul Creaney slotting over two early scores.

Belleek hit back and recored the game-winning score through a palmed Conor McKevitt goal, following a one-two with Drew McVerry.

Creaney and McVerry swapped scores before Eire Og took control with points from Ciaran Corey, Conor Martin and John Cochrane putting them ahead at half time.

This hosts could have been further in front at the restart but John Cochrane blasted his spot kick over the crossbar.

Sean McCreesh, James McParland and Callum O’Neill raised white flags to get Belleek back on level terms.

Sean McCreesh rattled over the final two scores of the game to hand his side a two point win.