Armagh Hurling Club Match Reports

McCormack Cup

Sean Treacy’s 2-14 Derrynoose 2-18

Derrynoose edged a closely contended affair when they travelled to Lurgan on Tuesday evening for round three of the McCormack Cup.

The home side got off to the best start with two points in quick succession, but an own goal saw them fall one behind.

Points from Pearse Lennon, Patrick Quinn and Shea McNaughton helped Derrynoose open up a three-point margin.

McNaughton and Lennon traded scores with the Lurgan attack just prior to the half time whistle sounding, the visitors ahead 1-9 to 0-10.

Sean Treacy’s shot in front straight after the turnaround, netting two minutes into the second period to lead by the minimum.

The lead only last 60 seconds however as Derrynoose rattled the net through Paddy Quinn to get themselves back in the ascendancy.

Three pointed frees from Paddy McGrane during Derrynoose’s purple patch saw them open up a six-point gap heading into the final few minutes of the game.

A late goal from the home side wasn’t enough to get something from the game, with Derrynoose four up at the full-time whistle.

Elsewhere in the McCormack Cup, Keady Lamh Dhearg at a massive victory when they made the trek to Castleblaney on Tuesday evening.

Four goals later and the visiting side found themselves comfortably ahead by the time the referee called for the ball, winning 4-33 to 0-6.

Listen back to our review show with Aaron Kernan while we also hear from Kieran Donaghy!

Division Two

St Malachy’s 2-12 Truagh 3-12

St Malachy’s hoped to carry on their winning form from last weekend when they defeated Killeavy in the clubs first win since reforming last year.

They looked to be heading in the right direction, but a big breeze changed the game once they teams switched sides after the break.

Early points helped the Portadown men ease into a 4-0 lead, with Kevin Quinn knocking over their fourth in the 8th minute.

Truagh came roaring back into the contested with three unanswered scores, but half back Fergal Beattie broke forward for a point to keep St Malachy’s ahead.

Quinn raised a second white flag to match a Truagh score just after the water break while Shay McStravick hit two to see the hosts in front 0-10 to 0-5 at half time.

McStravick struck another after the restart, but the Monaghan men began to get on top, hitting 2-4 without reply to take the advantage.

Patrick Lyness rattled the net to bring the home side back into the encounter, but Truagh did likewise at the other side of the field to keep their noses in front.

St Malachy’s would raise a second green flag, but they couldn’t stem the flow of the Truagh attack and eventually lost out by three points.

Craobh Rua enjoyed a handsome victory when they hosted Killeavy in round three, winning on a scoreline of 3-13 to 0-9.

Cuchulainns didn’t have it all their own way against Naomh Columcille, but were strong enough to get through the tie, 1-20 to 3-8.

Listen back to our review show with Aaron Kernan while we also hear from Kieran Donaghy!