Armagh Club Match Reports

Division 1A

Ballymacnab 0-5 Killeavy 0-9

Killeavy leaped over Ballymacnab on Sunday afternoon to leave the men in maroon and white bottom place of Division 1A.

It was a low scoring affair, but the travelling side deserved their narrow victory, leading from start to finish.

They shot into a four-point lead by the water break, with scores coming through Miceal McNamee (2), Cathal Boylan and Ronan McGuinness.

Ballymacnab responded with a pointed Gavin McParland free, which was cancelled out moments later by Niall Magennis.

The Nab finished the half on top with two points from Finnen Maguire and Ryan Watters to leave the score 0-5 to 0-3 at the break.

Ciaran Cosgrove’s early score in the second period was equalled by another Gavin McParland effort, this time from a 45.

Two Miceal McNamee points (one free) opened up a four-point gap as the game edged towards the final quarter.

McParland swung over his third of the day but a final score from Killeavy earned them a four-point victory away from home.

Armagh Harps were victorious on derby-day when they travelled the short distance to Pearse Og Park for their round nine clash.

The Harps led by 0-13 to 2-5 at the half time break and stretched the margin to three by the final whistle, winning 0-20 to 2-11.

Crossmaglen dominated their clash with Granemore on home turf and were ten-points better off at the final whistle.

They held the visitors scoreless during the opening quarter, while James Teelan’s fisted goal saw them ahead 1-11 to 0-3 at the interval.

Granemore performed better after the turnaround and outscored their hosts during the second period, but it wasn’t enough to get something from the game, Cross winning 1-16 to 0-9.

Dromintee remain top of the pile despite losing at home to 2019 league champions Maghery by four points.

The Loughshore men held the advantage at the half time interval, 2-4 to 1-2 before seeing out a 2-9 to 2-5 win.

Division 1B

There was only one game in Division 1B this weekend and it was an important one at the bottom of the table.

Mullaghbawn hosted St Peter’s, with the winner of the game likely to remain in the division for another season.

Three first half goals from the home team handed them the initiative at the break, heading into the second half ahead 3-7 to 0-8.

The Lurgan men shot back into contention in the second period, but Mullaghbawn ran out eventual 3-15 to 1-18 winners.

Division 2A

Tullysaran 1-13 Tir na nOg 0-6

The scoreline does not do justice to this game as Tullysaran only pulled away from their visitors in the final quarter of the match.

It was the Portadown side who had the best of the first quarter and were deservingly 3-1 in front, Gavin Colon (free) kicking the hosts opening score.

Tir na nOg added the next point but Tullysaran replied with three excellent scores through Mark McKeever (2) and Ryan McCreesh.

Conlon and Eddie Mallon tagged on two further scores to hand the home side a 0-6 to 0-4 lead at the half time break.

A quickfire double from Eoghan Daly and Eddie Mallon increased the lead to four, but the visitors came back with two of their own, which proved to be their last scores of the game.

Conlon (2) and Matthew Kernan stretched the gap before the game’s only goal came from a low shot to the net by Mark McKeever.

The youngster added another score while Ryan Conlon also split the posts to hand Tullysaran the maximum points on offer.

Shane O’Neill’s 1-11 Culloville 0-18

Culloville earned their first win of the league campaign when they travelled to Camlough on Sunday afternoon.

The sides scored a point apiece in the opening exchanges with Raymond Fitzpatrick pointing a ‘45 for the Shane’s before Culloville hit three points on the trot.

Paul O’Rourke replied for the home side while a further two Culloville efforts saw them lead by four at the first-half water-break.

Two scores from the visitors were split by a Paul O’Rourke point and the Shane’s has a chance to get back into the game when Matthew Girvan was upended and earned a penalty.

The Culloville keeper made an excellent stop and spread himself full length to deny Mark McCabe with the away side going into the half-time interval leading by seven, 0-10 to 0-3.

The sides swapped points early in the second half while O’Rourke fired over three frees in quick succession to get the home side back to within four.

Two Culloville points in as many minutes kept the scoreboard moving with Shane O’Neill’s’ talisman again replying with a pointed free.

A Neil Paul Lennon point cancelled out Culloville’s fourteenth score of the game while a further two points for the visitors stretched their lead to seven.

A well worked Paul O’Rourke goal lifted the Shane’s and when Lee Lennon followed up with a point there was only three between the sides with the game entering injury time.

Another O’Rourke point, his 8th of the contest, saw the Camlough men back within two but that was as good as it got as Culloville hit the final two points to their seal win.

Clan na Gael were big winners at home to St Paul’s in a repeat of last year’s Intermediate Championship final, 6-10 to 2-9.

Sarsfields also enjoyed a successful outing on Sunday afternoon when they hosted and defeated Whitecross 2-21 to 1-10.

Division 2B

Keady 2-8 Carrickcruppen 2-8

Keady have been in terrific form since football returned and they worked hard to get a point against league leaders Carrickcruppen at the weekend.

Both sides have exciting young talent blossoming in their ranks and this was a game that could have gone either way.

The home side opened the best with two points from Ciaran Donnelly and Marc Toal, but Cruppen shot ahead with a goal through a mix up in the Keady defence.

The Camlough side were rewarded a penalty just before the water break and crashed the shot against the crossbar but were on hand to net the rebound and go four ahead.

The sides traded scores before Keady really took control with points from Finn McGee, Conor Corvan (2) narrowing the gap to one.

Jack Molloy was hauled down in box and Keady netminder Paudie Donnelly trudged forward to slot home from the spot and hand Keady a 1-6 to 2-1 half time lead.

Three unanswered scores from the visitors put them one up before Ryan Donnelly levelled the tie once again with a converted free.

Cruppen edged ahead just after the water break before a long-range effort from Keady midfielder Conor Renaghan left the sides on level terms once more.

Again, the travelling side got their noses in front, but Keady hit what looked like a game winning goal through roaming wing half back Shea Harvey.

Carrickcruppen went about chasing the two-point margin and nailed a brace at the death to earn a share of the spoils.

An Port Mor and Middletown remain at the foot of the division after they met in round nine on Sunday afternoon.

It was a tight affair in the opening half, with An Port Mor just edging ahead at the break with a 5-4 lead.

The home side pulled away after the restart as the unmarkable Cormac Kieran netted to push his side 1-11 to 0-5 ahead with ten minutes remaining.

Middletown raised a green flag of their own via Cahal Carvill, but the result was beyond doubt and An Port Mor secured both points on offer with a 1-14 to 1-7 win.

Collegeland defeated Wolfe Tones on the road when two second half goals helped the visitors pull away in the end.

They held a slender 5-3 advantage at the interval but pushed on in the second period to win the game 2-9 to 1-8.

Junior Division

Forkhill 1-12 Lissummon 0-10

Forkhill remain part of the chasing pack at the top end of the table and are now on a four-game unbeaten run.

They defeated Lissummon on home soil on Wednesday night with Cormac Toner’s first half goal seeing them through.

That major had them one up after ten minutes of play as Lissummon recorded three early points while Cathal Adams raised a white flag for the hosts.

Darren King traded scores with the visitors before scores from Ciaran Smith and King left the goal the difference after 18 minutes of play.

Cormac Toner and Owen Donaghy exchanged scores with Stevie Matthews to lead by two points as the short whistle sounded, 1-6 to 0-7.

Lissummon closed the gap to the minimum right from the throw in and the margin remained the same after Toner exchanged scores with the opposition.

Oisin Flynn and Darren King finally gave Forkhill some breathing space before Donaghy and Paudie Toner stretched the lead to five.

Both teams recorded one point each in the final quarter with Forkhill doing enough to earn a five-point win.

Killeavy 1-8 Belleek 2-12

Belleek remain in promotion contention as they claimed their third win on the trot, with Killeavy suffering their 9th loss of the campaign.

The sides swapped scores early on with Belleek’s Conor McKevitt seeing his score cancelled out by Ross Garvey.

Belleek shot ahead as the dangerous McKevitt pointed for a second time while Callum O’Neill hit the net to go four up.

Stephen Taggart and Jack Collins did narrow the deficit beforea McKevitt traded scores with Killeavy’s Tom Behun.

Behun and David Nugent added scores for the home side to see Killeavy ahead for the first time in the game.

Belleek held the upper hand at the break with late points coming from James McParland, Kieran Connolly, Drew McVerry and McKevitt to leave them 1-6 to 0-6 up.

Callum O’Neill knocked over the opening score of the second half before Eoin Boylan rattled the net at the other end to bring the margin back to one.

McParland and O’Neill were on hand to swing over a point each before Drew McVerry raised his sides second green flag.

O’Neill and McVerry saw their efforts split by Jamie Gaskin late on as Belleek held on to for a seven-point win.

St Michael’s Newtown enjoyed a six-point victory over Thomas Davis in the early 12 o’clock throw in on Sunday morning, winning 1-15 to 2-6.

Dorsey deservingly saw off Redmond O’Hanlon’s at home with as they ran out comfortable 11-point winners, 1-15 to 0-7.

Eire Og made a massive charge for the top of the table as they defeated promotion chasers Derrynoose, 2-9 to 0-10.