Intermediate Championship Match Reports

Tullysaran 2-7 Forkhill 0-6

Two goals from Gavin Conlon and Eddie Mallon saw Tullysaran overcome Forkhill by seven-points on Friday evening.

Conlon’s low strike to the corner from a penalty kick fired his side in front and they never looked back.

Forkhill lost their talisman Jemar Hall to a red card early in the second period and that dented any hope of a revival.

Hall had his side up and running with three early scores, while Oisin Flynn also pointed to give Forkhill a 4-0 head start.

James Madden began to get to grips with Hall, as Tullysaran hit three-in-a-row through Ryan Conlon, Ryan McCreesh and Mark McKeever.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Conlon’s spot kick followed, when McKeever’s through ball found Mallon, who was hauled to the ground.

Points from McKeever and Conlon (45) extended the lead, while Oisin Flynn pointed with the final action of the first half. Tullysaran ahead 1-5 to 0-5.

A disjointed second half began with McKeever’s third of the evening, as Tullysaran pulled further ahead.

A long ball towards the square was picked up by Mallon, who slotted it home with a cool finish.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

The O’Connell’s club controlled possession in the final quarter, as the sides traded scores with one point each.

McKeever nailed another while Cormac Toner raised Forkhill’s only white flag of the second half.

Tullysaran deservingly got their name in the hat for the semi-finals and will now take on Division 2B winners Carrickcruppen.

Tullysaran Scorers: Mark McKeever 0-4, Gavin Conlon 1-1 (1pen 1f), Eddie Mallon 1-0, Ryan Conlon 0-1, Ryan McCreesh 0-1.

Forkhill Scorers: Jemar Hall 0-3 (1f), Oisin Flynn 0-2, Cormac Toner 0-1.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Carrickcruppen 1-12 Wolfe Tones 1-7

Carrickcruppen convincingly saw off Wolfe Tones in Pearse Og Park on Saturday to set up a semi-final clash with Tullysaran.

A late goal from the Derrymacash side closed the final margin, but Cruppen were comfortably home by that stage.

Eoin Woods proved incredibly difficult to handle and finished the game with 1-3 from play.

A woods double, along with pointed frees from Blaine Hughes and Richard Keenan, sent Cruppen 0-4 in front.

Odhran Magee slotted over two frees, split by the water break before Stephen Loughran improved Carrickcruppen’s lead.

Photo Credit: John Merry

A huge Chris Nugent score from close to the endline was the highlight of the first half for the Tones.

Magee nailed his third from the dead ball as Cruppen held a double score lead at the break, 0-8 to 0-4.

The third quarter was frantic, as Wolfe Tones looked to have been handed a lifeline with a goal.

Patrick McParland’s ball into the square beat everyone and rolled over the line with the aid of the upright.

The three-pointer was disallowed, however. Tones has 16 men on the field, with one of their players failing to leave after being replaced.

And just to rub salt in the open wounds, Cruppen raised the first green flag of the day through an Eoin Woods rocket.

Photo Credit: John Merry

Two Keenan scores (one free) secured the Camlough sides entry into the last four draw. It was desperate times for Tones who persistently targeted the Cruppen square, but to no avail.

They eventually got their prize, when Paudi Judge won possession, swivelled his marker, and fired to the net.

It was too little to later however, and Cruppen were comfortably five ahead as the final whistle sounded.

Carrickcruppen Scorers: Eoin Woods 1-3, Richard Keenan 0-4 (3f), Stephen Loughran 0-2 (1m), Blaine Hughes 0-1 (1f), Jack Cunningham 0-1, Tiernan Kelly 0-1, Cathal O’Grady 0-1.

Wolfe Tones Scorers: Odhran Magee 0-3 (3f), Paudi Judge 1-0, Ryan McQuillan 0-1, Caolan Farrell 0-1, Declan Lavery 0-1, Chris Nugent 0-1.

Culloville 1-11 St Paul’s 2-7

Culloville eventually nudged pasts St Paul’s by the minimum of margins to deservingly book a last four spot.

Andrew Murnin’s 55th minute goal, after a wonderful Niall McCorry fetch, looked to have turned the tide for the Lurgan men.

Culloville weren’t to be denied. Scores from Cathal Hatzer, Ryan Garvey and Man of the Match Niall Rowland ensured victory.

The Blues were without their talisman Colm Watters, which makes the triumph all the more remarkable.

Hatzer and Garvey, who played with a heavily strapped left leg, provided the cutting edge in the Culloville attack.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Rowland was the architect of his sides impressive win and the midfielder deservingly fired over the winning score.

Eoin McConville tried his best for St Paul’s, while Murnin’s move to full forward gave them more impetus up top.

Ryan Lawless was a huge miss in the final quarter, however. The centre half forward was red carded ten minutes from time.

The Blues used the advantage of a strong breeze in the opening half to take the lead at the break.

A great Fergal Rowland turnover launched an attack and Ryan Garvey powered through an open defence.

His strike bounced off the crossbar, but Dara Quinn was on hand to bag the game’s opening goal.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

St Paul’s responded superbly. Andrew Murnin’s direct pass inside fell to Odhran Magill, who coolly finished to the corner.

Culloville held a 1-6 to 1-5 half time lead and were still one ahead at the second water break. Eoin McConville’s point cancelling out a Hatzer free for the only scores in a quiet third quarter.

The final 15 minutes sparked into life as Ciaran Nash’s men took the lead for the first time through Murnin’s three-pointer.

Culloville’s trio saved the day and set up and mouth-watering semi-final tie with Sarsfields.

Culloville Scorers: Dara Quinn 1-2, Cathal Hatzer 0-4 (3f), Niall Rowland 0-3, Ryan Garvey 0-2.

St Paul’s Scorers: Eoin McConville 0-4 (1f), Odhran Magill 1-0, Andrew Murnin 1-0, Daniel McDonald 0-2 (1m), Antoin McParland 0-1.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Sarsfields 0-14 Whitecross 0-7

As expected, Division 2A champions Sarsfields qualified for the semi-finals with a convincing seven-point win.

Whitecross did pose some questions during the opening half, flooding their defence to deny the Sarsfields attack any space.

Cathal McSherry was the go-to forward in the all-white strip of Whitecross, once he returned to the play after an early black card.

They also lost the experience of full-back Declan Lennon to an injury inside the opening few minutes.

Photo Credit: John Merry

Sarsfields quality attack partnered with their domination of the Whitecross kickouts provided the platform for their victory.

Several of their scores came from winning primary possession from the opposition restarts, with Eamon McGeown dominating at centerfield.

Whitecross successfully frustrated the High Moss men in the first half, but trailed by two at the break, 5-3.

Cathal McSherry narrowed the gap with a free before Sarsfields took control. Six points, split by an Aidan Finnegan score, put the favourites 0-11 to 0-5 up at the water break.

Photo Credit: Ciaran McMahon

Liam Mackin popped up with a deserved score, while Finnegan blasted Whitecross’ only goal chance over the bar.

Paul McGeown nailed his fifth of the day to end the game, with Sarsfields heading into the next round with seven to spare.

While it wasn’t the perfect performance from Barry Hughes’ side, it was enough to comfortably make it through to the last four.

Sarsfields Scorers: Paul McGeown 0-5 (3f), Colin Stevenson 0-3, Eamon McGeown 0-2, Michael Stevenson 0-2, Thomas McAlinden 0-1, Kevin McAlinden 0-1.

Whitecross Scorers: Cathal McSherry 0-3 (1f), Aidan Finnegan 0-3 (1f), Liam Mackin 0-1.