Junior & Senior Hurling Championship Match Reports

Cuchulainns II 0-15 Middletown II 1-11

Joseph Burke was the star on Saturday as his accuracy saw Cuchulainns through to the semi-finals.

The wing forward nailed 11 points to guarantee his side entry into the final four of the Junior Championship.

The eventual winners deserved their victory, but Middletown’s 42nd minute goal left a nervy final quarter.

Cuchulainns were five up early in the second half and looked to be cruising. But Middletown shot back with a Brian Mallon three-pointer.

Marty Maguire followed up with a point to level the game, but it wasn’t long until Burke restored his sides lead.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

The Cuchulainns sharpshooter opened the scoring with three points inside the opening ten minutes. While Nathan Hunt of Middletown replied with a brace.

Three Matta Carvill scores levelled the game at 0-5 apiece. Five on the trot from Burke opened up a 0-10 to 0-6 lead for the city side.

Carvill and Shane Morgan traded scores after the restart, as Mallon’s goal brought the margin back to one.

Maguire tied the game, but a Burke brace kept the Cuchulainns noses ahead. Middletown battled hard and tied the score once again through Carvill and Maguire.

Now in added time, the next score was the likely winner and it was Cuchulainns who raised a white flag.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

A midfield turnover provided Ryan Gribben with the chance to be the hero, and the Cuchulainns man made no mistake with the shot.

Cuchulainns will now face St Malachy’s in the semi-final, with Craobh Rua meeting Killeavy on the other side of the draw.

Cuchulainns Scorers: Joseph Burke 0-11 (7f), Sean McCann 0-1, Shane Morgan 0-1, Sean Clifford 0-1, Ryan Gribben 0-1.

Middletown Scorers: Matta Carvill 0-5 (2f), Nathan Hunt 0-3, Brian Mallon 1-0, Marty Maguire 0-2, Darragh Harnett 0-1.

Middletown 2-16 Cuchulainns 2-9

The race for three-in-a-row continues as Middletown saw off Cuchulainns on Saturday in a repeat of the 2020 final.

The game got off to a frantic start with Cahal Carvill netting after a huge collusion on Jordan Murtagh earned Middletown a turnover.

Murtagh recovered brilliantly to strike a score in the next play. A trio of Dean Gaffney points put the champions three ahead, 1-4 to 0-4.

Middletown continued to open the gap, spreading their advantage to seven as the end of the half neared.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

Cuchulainns shot back into the game when Patrick Heaney kicked the ball to the net after a long ball into the square.

Heaney followed up with a pointed free and suddenly the gap was two points. 1-9 to 1-7 at half time.

Middletown started the second half like they did the first, with a goal. Dean Gaffney finding the net this time.

Two Cahal Carvill scores, along with a Gaffney free opened up a seven-point margin once again.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

Cuchulainns were offered a lifeline in the final quarter, as Conleth Lavery slotted home from the penalty spot.

That was the city sides final score however, as Dean Gaffney rattled four points in a row (3 frees), to put Middletown ahead by seven at the full-time whistle.

The reigning champions meet Derrynoose in a repeat of last season semi-final. That game is due to take place in two weeks.

Middletown Scorers: Dean Gaffney 0-10 (8f), Cahal Carvill 1-2, Paddy McBride 0-2, Mark McClatchey 0-1, Pauric Hughes 0-1.

Cuchulainns Scorers: Patrick Heaney 1-2, Lee Murtagh 0-3, Conleth Lavery 1-0, Connor Devlin 0-2, Jordan Murtagh 0-1, Lorcan Oliver 0-1.