Division 3 Match Reports – Week One

Dorsey 3-20 Killeavy 2-11

Dorsey overcame Killeavy IIs in a five-goal thriller on Sunday afternoon to pick up their first win of the Division 3 campaign.

The hosts got the first point through Aidan Mackin, who scored 5 points (1f) in the first half.

Conor Moley scored four points in the first half despite playing at centre half back. Dorsey’s forwards were up for the match and were eager to keep the scoreboard ticking.

Paudie Cumiskey took a lovely point from play to increase Dorsey’s lead. Nearing the closing of the half Paudie Mackin caught a lovely ball and fired the ball into the back of the net. 1-11 to 1-5 in favour of Dorsey at the break.

Photo Credit: Dorsey

Killeavy proved to be a second half team and went about closing the gap. Dorsey midfielders Brian Murphy and Martin Hearty kept the Emmet’s ahead.

Aidan Mackin scored another good point and towards the end of the half was subbed off for his brother Gary who also got on the score board.

Mickey McVerry was on form in the second period, making lots of runs and scoring three points.

Moley made some good bursts through Killeavy’s defence, narrowing missing a goal. A few minutes later he scored a great point to keep Dorsey ahead.

Killeavy got the momentum and scored two quickfire goals. Shane Connolly scored a very well taken goal to settle Dorsey back into the game.

Killeavy kept striving forward into the Dorsey half and weren’t going to lie down. Kevin Kelly busted forward through Killeavy’s defence to nail a great goal.

Martin Hearty played a great game and got on the scoreboard with a point to secure Dorsey’s first win of the year.

Dorsey picked up an opening day win in Division Three
Photo Credit: Dorsey

St Michael’s 0-9 Derrynoose 1-6

These sides were evenly matched in the opening round of the championship last season, with Derrynoose just prevailing.

It was much closer last weekend however and the teams couldn’t be separated.

Scores from Pearse Lennon (2) and Paddy McGrane gave Derrynoose an early 3-1 lead.

The visitors stretched their lead with the only goal of the game coming from Fabio Moreira.

Newtown reduced the gap with a pointed free, although trailed 1-3 to 0-2 at half time.

Shea McNaughton and Lennon (free) matched two Newtown points to keep the margin at four.

St Michael’s continued to work hard and claimed five of the final six points to tie level by the end of the game.

Photo Credit: John Merry

O’Hanlon’s 1-10 Thomas Davis 1-12

Thomas Davis opened their league account with an away day win on Sunday.

The sides exchanged scores early on, with David Hankin and Jordan King matching early O’Hanlon’s points.

A well taken mark from Caolan Flannagan gave the visiting team a two-point half time lead.

Both teams were reduced 14 men in the second half, as Thomas Davis remained on top.

Ryan McWilliams fired over some long range frees and set up an Aaron Cinnamond goal.

Thomas Davis picked up a further red card which allowed O’Hanlon’s to get back into the game.

A goal from the hosts narrowed the margin to just one but King doubled the lead for Thomas Davis, who saw out a two-point victory.

Photo Credit: Chris Totton

Mullabrack 1-4 Eire Og 6-7

Eire Og earned victory in their first outing of the year, winning a goal fest against Mullabrack, to go top of the table in Division Three.

Daniel Ryan netted twice for the Craigavon men, while Jake Walsh, Ciaran Corey, Marc Fegan and Eoin McKee also raised green flags.

Mullabrack rattled home a goal of their own, coming through corner forward Hugh McSorley.

Eire Og are the top goal scorers in the division
Photo Credit: Chris Totton

An Port Mor 0-12 Clady 0-11

An Port Mor shaded a close encounter with Clady to win by the minimum of margins.

The game was tight throughout, with the home side just ahead at the break, 0-7 to 0-5.

An Port Mor had a chance to extend their lead, but for a brilliant save from Ion Hughes, denying a goal from the penalty spot.

Clady edged ahead by two points, but the Blackwatertown men finished strongly to get back on level terms.

With the score tied, up stepped Shane Nugent to fire over the match winning score and pick up the first two points of the year.

An Port Mor began life in Division 3 with a win
Photo Credit: Richiespics

Lissummon 0-15 Middletown 1-12

It ended all square in Lissummon on Sunday. Middletown came back to earn a share of the spoils in the second half.

Minus all of their county hurlers, Middletown made a slow start, but a first half goal kept them in the game.

Lissummon ended the opening half on top and held a 0-10 to 1-4 advantage at the break.

Middletown closed the gap after the turnaround and both sides walked away with a point apiece.

The Division Three table after the opening round of games