Division 3A & 3B Match Reports – Week 17

Derrynoose 3-13 St Michael’s 1-7

Derrynoose claimed the Division 3A league title on Friday night with their 12-point win over St Michael’s.

It all came down to the last day. Derrynoose needed to win to capture the trophy with Middletown breathing down their necks.

Anything other than victory, and a Middletown win, would have seen Middletown earn the title.

The sides ended on level points, 25 each, but Derrynoose’s superior score difference separated the two in the end.

Derrynoose weren’t taking any chances and led their game all the way to confirm their promotion to Intermediate football for next year.

Photo Credit: Derrynoose

The home side were well ahead by the half time break, with 16-points the difference. 2-10 to 0-0.

Derrynoose hit the net again in the second period with their goals coming through Pauric McNaughton, Conall McNally and Shea McNaughton.

Middletown done all they could as they defeated Eire Og 2-16 to 1-8 but only finished second in the table.

A Ruairi McCann goal put the hosts ahead by five at the break, 1-7 to 0-5. They pushed on further in the second period.

Eire Og closed the gap with a goal and could have had another but for a penalty save from Middletown keeper Niall Geoghegan.

A goal from Martin Maguire helped secure victory for Middletown. Elsewhere, it was Shane Connolly who found the net for Dorsey as they fought off Lissummon 1-7 to 1-6.

Division 3B

The Division 3B league title will be decided on the last day with the top two Killeavy IIs and Thomas Davis meeting on Friday night.

Thomas Davis earned victory over Clady on Friday evening, 2-13 to 0-7, to tie with Killeavy at the top of the table.

An Port Mor finished their season in third place after two victories last weekend, hitting ten goals in two games.

Cormac Kieran hit four while Mark Donnelly and Jack McQuade also raised green flags in their 6-14 to 2-8 win over O’Hanlon’s.

Kieran was on target once again, hitting two against Mullabrack while Donnelly and Ryan Gorman helped An Port Mor win 4-13 to 0-8.