Junior Championship Match Reports – Round One

Clady 0-7 Middletown 1-20

Middletown made their way through to the Junior Championship quarter finals when they saw off Clady on Friday evening.

A first half goal from Paudie Lappin opened up a ten-point gap by half time. Middletown were comfortable during the second period.

Clady put it up to them early on, with scores from Sean Savage and Liam Doyle getting them off the mark.

Photo Credit: An Port Mor

But Middletown’s scoring power and pace was too much to handle. Lappin’s three-point made it 1-12 to 0-5 at the interval.

The margin continued to grow after the turnaround. Sean Og McGuinness providing most of the scores for the eventual winners.

Ruairi McCann’s eye-catching pace caused headaches for Clady all afternoon and he finished with a few scores as well.

It’s Eire Og next for Middletown with a chance to progress to the last four of the competition up for grabs.

Photo Credit: Collegeland

Derrynoose 1-10 St Michael’s 0-12

Like last year’s championship meeting between the two, Derrynoose stepped away from the Athletic Grounds with a sigh of relief while St Michael’s left full of regrets.

For the majority of the game, the Newtown men were the better team on display. But a second half goal for the Division 3A champions saw them over the line.

Joe McClelland caused numerous problems for the Derrynoose defence while John Joe Powell powered forward from the half back line to slot over 0-3 from play.

Derrynoose were heavily reliant on David McCreesh for scores and the economic running of Jack Fox, Mark Lennon and Pauric McNaughton.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

The addition of Peter McKearney strengthened Derrynoose’s hand while Benny Davidson did the same for the opposition.

The sides were tied 0-4 apiece at the midway stage and both experienced a wasteful opening half.

Derrynoose stepped things up in the second period and within 15 minutes they were two ahead. 0-9 to 0-7.

St Michael’s, who retreated on Derrynoose’s restarts and let them have the short, then received a sucker punch.

Paul Doyle’s men worked the ball from a kickout to Pearse Lennon. His effort dropped short, and Sean McGuigan was on hand to guide it over the head of Gerard Watters.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

Newtown dominated the rest of the encounter in terms of the scoreboard but couldn’t get the equaliser.

They outscored the eventual winners 5-1 in the final period and put midfielder Emmet O’Malley to full forward in the hope of creating a goal.

Both Davidson’s, father and son, Benny and Aidan raised white flags. O’Malley fired over an excellent effort from the sideline to offer some hope.

Aidan Davidson punched over the final effort in the 65th minute which proved to be the last chance for St Michael’s.

Derrynoose progress and will now take on Dorsey Emmett’s in the quarter-final of the Junior Championship.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

Derrynoose Scorers: David McCreesh 0-7 (5f), Sean McGuigan 1-0, Patrick McGrane 0-1, Sean Lennon 0-1.

St Michael’s Scorers: John Joe Powell 0-3, Aidan Davidson 0-2 (1f), Emmet O’Malley 0-2 (1f), Pearse Woods 0-2, Brian Carty 0-2, Benny Davidson 0-1 (1f).

Lissummon 2-14 Killeavy II 1-7

Two late goals from Garrett Rafferty and Michael Robinson opened up some daylight between the teams and ensured Lissummon’s passage to the last eight of the championship.

In truth, it always looked likely that Seamus Loughran’s men would make it through. But Killeavy’s second half goal put the pressure on for the final ten minutes.

The game was fifteen minutes old when Killeavy finally opened their account. By that stage, Lissummon had already chalked up 0-4, all from Steven Mattews.

Rafferty swung over one of the scores of the day following great work by Shea Trainor, who was excellent throughout.

Two pointed frees from Barry O’Hara matched efforts from Michael McCaffrey and Mattews. Lissummon tagged on the last three points of the half to lead 10-3 at the break.

Photo Credit: Dorsey

Straight from the throw in Lissummon tried to push further ahead but a superb save from Aaron Coogan denied a certain goal.

The sides traded scores before John Stevenson latched on to a Niall Hollywood pass and rolled the ball home to an empty net.

Killeavy tagged on a further two scores though Jack Collins and Andrew Cunningham to cut the margin to four.

Their comeback was dealt a huge blow when they were reduced to 14 men. Lissummon rallied and nailed the final two scores, two goals, to book their place in the next round.

Lissummon Scorers: Steven Matthews 0-7 (6f), Michael Robinson 1-2, Garrett Rafferty 1-1, Tony O’Hagan 0-3, Michael McCaffrey 0-1.

Killeavy II Scorers: John Stevenson 1-2, Barry O’Hara 0-2 (2f), Thomas Hannaway 0-1 (1f), Jack Collins 0-1, Andrew Cunningham 0-1 (1f).

An Port Mor 4-17 O’Hanlon’s 0-7

An Port Mor eased into the last eight of the Junior Championship with a convincing win over O’Hanlon’s.

Matthew Taylor’s accuracy from frees kept O’Hanlon’s within touching distance in the first half, but then the flood gates opened.

The Blackwatertown men struck three goals after the turnaround and held their opponents to just two points.

An Port Mor led from start to finish and Cormac Kieran’s first half goal saw them six up at the break. 1-8 to 0-5.

Photo Credit: An Port Mor

Ryan Gorman rattled the net with the first score of the second period. David Hurson and Taylor added points for O’Hanlon’s.

That was the final action in terms of scoring as An Port Mor really took control. Shane Nugent entered the fray and hit 2-1 in the second period.

The victors hit 2-9 on the trot during the second period and while both sides were reduced to 14-men, it had no impact on the end result.

An Port Mor: Cormac Kieran 1-6 (1f), Shane Nugent 2-1, Ryan Gorman 1-0, Peter Nixon 0-2, Mark Donnelly 0-2 (1f), Matthew Walsh 0-2, Brad Hughes 0-1, Jack McQuade 0-1 (1f), Charlie Traynor 0-1 (1f), Seamus Hughes 0-1.

O’Hanlon’s: Matthew Taylor 0-5 (4f), Adam Magill 0-1, David Hudson 0-1.