Ladies Championship Match Reports, – Week One

Senior Championship

Killeavy 3-7 Crossmaglen 4-13

A terrific start from Crossmaglen put them in control of the opening round of this Senior Championship clash, but Killeavy never gave up.

Four goals inside the opening quarter put the visiting side 17 points clear, before Killeavy got up and running.

Aoibheann McConville rattled the net first, Alex Clarke two raised green flags from a penalty and a free and Tasha Hamill also recorded a major.

Killeavy finally opened their account through Rebecca Cunningham, who hit 2-1 on the trot to close the gap to 11.

Photo Credit: Brendan Monaghan

Cunningham and Megan O’Callaghan traded scores before the short whistle sounded. Cross lead at the break 4-8 to 2-3.

The hosts were handed a huge lifeline at the start of the second half when Tara O’Neill fired home a goal.

But their use of the ball just wasn’t good enough. Even when Cross were reduced to 14, Killeavy, missing their star forward Grainne Boylan, still couldn’t take advantage.

Five on the trot put Cross further ahead but Killeavy closed the gap but the finish with the final three points of the game.

Elsewhere in the Senior Championship, Dromahill dominated Lissummon on Friday evening, easing to a 5-21 to 2-5 win.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Junior Championship

St Paul’s 4-8 Derrynoose 4-10

A huge second half comeback from St Paul’s made Derrynoose sweat for their victory, but they had enough done in the opening period to secure their place in the next round.

11-points was the difference at the break, with the Lurgan ladies hitting three goals after the turnround to come back into the game.

Maeve Lennon and Clare O’Hare got the visiting side up and running before St Paul’s shot ahead with a goal.

Derrynoose responded brilliantly with an Emma Hughes major while the sides traded scores after.

It was all Derrynoose for the remainder of the half. O’Hare and Anita McKearney bagged goals to put them 3-6 to 1-1 up at half time.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

McKearney grabbed her second five minutes into the second half, but St Paul’s began to take control of the contest.

3-4 on the bounce for St Paul’s put them one point in front but the 47th minute before Lennon levelled matters.

Sinead Quinn and O’Hare split the posts to give Derrynoose some breathing space again. The sides swapped scores, but Derrynoose saw out a nervy two-point win.

Pearse Ogs got their championship up and running with a 7-12 to 3-3 win over Whitecross on Friday night.

On Saturday, Middletown saw off Keady 7-18 to 0-8 while Wolfe Tones defeated Thomas Davis 7-15 to 2-3.