Recent History – Crossmaglen v Silverbridge

It’s the fourth year in a row that Crossmaglen will take on neighbours Silverbridge in the Senior Championship.

The Rangers, heading into the campaign having lost back-to-back finals to Maghery (2020) and Clann Eireann (2021) have won all three.

Silverbridge reached the semi-finals last season and will hope to get one over Stephen Kernan’s men on Sunday.

2021: Crossmaglen 1-14 Silverbridge 0-6 (SFC Semi-Final)

On a wet and miserable night in the Athletic Grounds, Cross defeated Silverbridge to reach their fourth SFC final in a row.

It was a poor night for Silverbridge, who reached the last four after impressive wins over Dromintee and Cullyhanna.

The Bridge had the advantage of the breeze in the first half but couldn’t make it count. The sides were tied 0-3 each at the short whistle.

Caolan Finnegan struck the game’s only goal as Stephen Kernan’s side began to pull away in the second period.

Photo Credit: John Merry

2020: Crossmaglen 3-10 Silverbridge 1-8 (SFC Round One)

The then reigning champions Crossmaglen took apart Silverbridge with a fine attacking display. They kicked off their title defence in eye-catching fashion.

The Bridge made the brighter start with three points in a row, but an Oisin O’Neill goal gave the favourites a slim three-point lead at half time. 1-6 to 0-6.

Cross followed it up with two more goals at the beginning of the second half. Tony and Aaron Kernan rattled the net to extend the lead.

Silverbridge grabbed a three-pointer of their own through Padraig Keating, but the result was beyond doubt at that stage.

Photo Credit: John Merry

2019: Crossmaglen 1-15 Silverbridge 0-7 (SFC Quarter-Final)

A first half Colin O’Connor goal sent Cross on their way as they went on to secure the Gerry Fegan Cup once again.

Johnny McKeever could have doubled his sides goal tally but saw his flick bounced back off the bar.

The half time score made for decent reading from a Silverbridge perspective, with the four points the difference. 1-5 to 0-4.

But Cross pushed on in the second half thanks to the scoring power of the O’Neill’s, who recorded a combined 0-7.

Photo Credit: John Merry