Senior Championship Match Reports – Round One

Granemore 1-10 Pearse Og 0-10

A goal just before the break from Ryan Rafferty secured Granemore’s place in the last eight of the Senior Championship.

The sides were fairly even up to that point and the Ogs should have been the ones to hit the net first, but for a fine Kevin Kelly save.

Conor Clarke’s men settle for a point and in the next attack, Granemore raised a green flag and never looked back.

That goal kept the city side at bay and at one stage in the second half, Jason O’Neill widened the margin to five.

The Ogs didn’t quit and late scores from Shea Freeman and Vincy Brady cut the deficit, but that’s as close as they got.

Madden 0-14 Killeavy 2-12

Two goals after the turnaround allowed Killeavy to progress to the next round of the Senior Championship.

Three points on the trot just before the break saw Wayne Kieran’s men ahead at the interval, 0-8 to 0-5.

A punched three-pointer from Paul Quinn put Killeavy four ahead, but Madden kept battling away. The Raparees hit the next five points to go ahead by one.

But Killeavy hit another major, this time Niall Magennis slotting home from close range, to confirm their place in the quarterfinals.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Ballymacnab 1-14 St Patrick’s 0-13

Ballymacnab didn’t get it all their own way, but Gavin McParland’s first half major was enough to confirm their place in the quarterfinals.

That three-pointer helped the Nab into a six-point lead at the interval, but Cullyhanna fought back bravely in the second half.

Led by half forwards Shea Hoey and Caolan Reavey, St Patrick’s eventually narrowed the gap to just two points.

However, two brilliant scores from Jack and Rory Grugan put the result beyond doubt and ended Cullyhanna’s participation in the championship.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

Maghery 1-12 Armagh Harps 0-12

A carbon copy of last years championship meeting, the Harps left it much to late to try and rescue a result as Maghery controlled the game for the majority of the evening.

It was all one sided in the opening period with the Loughshore men threatening to run away with it. They led at the break 0-8 to 0-2.

Joe McElroy and James McCoy began to kick into gear and the Harps registered the first three scores of the second period.

Just as it looked like it was game on, Aidan Forker, who moved to full forward, drove at the Harps defence.

His effort was saved by John Daly, but Kevin Robinson nipped in to tuck away the game’s only goal.

The Harps outscored their opponents 6-3 in the final quarter, but it was too little too late and Maghery had done enough to get over the line.

Sarsfields 1-6 Dromintee 3-8

Played in terrible conditions, a few long balls into the edge of the square brought some excitement to this tie.

Firstly, it was Dromintee who utilised full forward Cathal McKenna with a direct pass to the inside line. McKenna captured possession and fired home the opening goal.

That put Dromintee two up at the break, 1-3 to 0-4. Sarsfields were hit with a real sucker punch at the start of the second half when Conor Martin’s point effort dropped into the net.

That forced the High Moss men to go for the game and Fintan Kelly’s pass to the full forward line caught everyone out and bounced home to the net.

Just when it seemed Sarsfields were back in contention, McKenna grabbed his second goal of the day, a low, powerful effort to the corner, and sent his side through to the last eight.

Clan na Gael 0-13 Carrickcruppen 1-8

Diarmaid Marsden’s Clan na Gael booked their slot in the next round of the Senior Championship, seeing off Carrickcruppen with two to spare.

They had to do it with 14 men for the majority of the game having picked up a red card during the first half.

Tiernan Kelly grabbed a three-pointer for Cruppen during the opening period. But Clans led at the interval, 0-10 to 1-2.

The Camlough men closed the gap by the end of the game, but not enough to trouble Clan na Gael’s entrance to the last eight.

Photo Credit: Chris Totton

Crossmaglen 1-19 Silverbridge 2-11

Crossmaglen eventually squeezed past Silverbridge, but they certainly didn’t have it all their own way.

Two second half goals from Paddy Reel (penalty) and Paraic Keating but the Bridge five ahead midway through the second half.

But a black card to Fionnan Burns hindered their chances of really causing and upset and Cross took control.

Rian O’Neill hit four in a row while Callum Cumiskey chipped in with two. The Rangers claimed seven unanswered points to completely change the game.

And while the Bridge were still in contention, a bit of magic from dangerman Cian McConville put the result beyond doubt.

His sublime crossfield ball found Caolan Finnegan who rattled the net and secured their place in the next round.

Photo Credit: John Merry

Mullaghbawn 1-9 Clann Eireann 0-11

Mullaghbawn threw up the shock of the round when they knocked out the defending champions Clann Eireann.

Peter McDonnell’s men led from start to finish, with Eddie English putting his side 6-0 ahead after 24 minutes.

Clann Eireann eventually opened their account through Jack Conlon and Conor Turbitt to reduce the half time deficit to four.

Two more Clann Eireann points narrowed the gap once again but then came the vital score for the underdogs.

English’s goal attempt was saved but Shea Loye was on hand to fire the ball into the net, putting Mullaghbawn six up.

The champions fired everything at it and Turbitt finally got them back on level terms with a free.

Loye fired one over from the dead ball and with some heroic defending, Mullaghbawn held on to pull off a superb victory.