Hurling Championship Match Reports – Semi Finals

Keady 1-18 Cuchulainns 1-18

While both will be disappointed not to be in the championship final, they will also be relieved they get to fight another day.

Cuchulainns made much the better start, but it was the city side who had to go chasing the game near its conclusion.

John Toner’s men grabbed four of the first five scores to lead 1-3 to 0-1 after 13 minutes of action. The goal coming from a long-range Jordan Murtagh free.

Keady got back into the game slowly but surely. Fionntan Donnelly showcased his ability from the dead ball while Conor Corvan chipped in with a score.

Three late Murtagh points gave Cuchulainns the initiative at the half time break with four the difference. 1-8 to 0-7.

Keady and Cuchulainns need a replay to decide who goes through to the championship decider
Photo Credit: Richiespics

20 seconds into the second period, Keady were right back in the game thanks to their captain Conor Corvan.

Shea Harvey played in a brilliant through ball and Corvan rattled the net with the first piece of action after the turnaround.

Keady dominated the early exchanges with points from Donnelly (2f), John Corvan and Tomas Galvin.

Murtagh traded scores with Donnelly, as did Connor Devlin. Murtagh and Devlin also exchanged efforts with Conor Corvan and Conor Renaghan.

Keady held a two-point lead, thanks to Corvan’s third point, but super sub Joseph Burke nailed a late brace to end the game as a draw. A replay will be needed to decide who goes through to the championship final.

Keady Scorers: Fionntan Donnelly 0-11 (10f), Conor Corvan 1-3, Sean Colton 0-1, John Corvan 0-1, Conor Renaghan 0-1, Tomas Gavin 0-1.

Cuchulainns Scorers: Jordan Murtagh 1-10 (1-9f), Joseph Burke 0-2, Connor Devlin 0-2, Ciaran Duffy 0-1, Lorcan Oliver 0-1, Tom Marley 0-1, Lee Murtagh 0-1.

Keady and Cuchulainns need a replay to decide who goes through to the championship decider
Photo Credit: Richiespics

Middletown 2-26 Craobh Rua 2-13

While Middletown won handsomely in the end, Craobh Rua will be proud of themselves as they certainly gave it their best shot.

During the opening period the underdogs kept in the game really well before Middletown pulled away after the break.

Jarly Og Burns caused headaches at full forward during the opening 30 minutes, and he opened the scoring.

Nathan Curry rattled home a goal within the first 5 minutes, but Craobh Rua shot back instantly with a brilliant Sean Watters major.

Middletown went three ahead before Curry pulled on a loose ball and chalked up his second goal of the game.

Middletown made it through championship decider
Photo Credit: Richiespics

Free takers Dean Gaffney and Tiarnan O’Hare took turns raising white flags. Two late scores from O’Hare closed the gap at the break to five, 2-11 to 1-9.

Five in a row during the third quarter fired Middletown into an uncatchable lead, but the Camlough men never gave in.

A brilliantly taken Oisin O’Hare goal eight minutes from time was their just reward for their battling spirit.

But Middletown saw the game out well, with four of the last six points to safely book their place in the championship decider.

Middletown Scorers: Nathan Curry 2-4, Dean Gaffney 0-7 (6f), Sean Og McGuinness 0-4, Paddy McBride 0-4, Pauric Hughes 0-2, Ryan Gaffney 0-2, Shaun Toal 0-2, Ben Toal 0-1.

Craobh Rua Scorers: Tiarnan O’Hare 0-9 (8f), Sean Watters 1-1, Oisin O’Hare 1-0, Jarly Og Burns 0-1, Conor McKevitt 0-1, Fiachra Bradly 0-1.