Granemore gain place in first ever decider

Granemore 2-9 Killeavy 0-8

A freak goal from Granemore stalwart Tony McClelland sent his side into their first ever Senior Championship final.

Jason O’Neill had edged Granemore one ahead as Killeavy tried to turn the tide after trailing by four at half time.

Marty Carr attempted to fire the eventual winners two ahead, but his effort looked to be dropping harmlessly wide.

The Killeavy keeper Shea Magill raced to restart the game with a quick kickout, but the wind kept the ball in play.

It dropped into the arms of the waiting McClelland who side stepped a challenge and slid home the easiest of finishes.

Granemore made their first ever SFC final
Photo Credit: John Merry

A second goal came minutes later. McClelland, this time in his own defensive square, turned the ball over and began a counterattack. It ended with Odhran Doyle playing a quick one-two with O’Neill and palming the ball into the net.

A final score from O’Neill, his sixth of the evening in the 64th minute settled the tie.

Early lead

Killeavy looked to draw first blood and should have had an early goal. David Mallie was bundled to the ground inside the small square.

Ronan McGuinness blasted his penalty effort wide of the post. Granemore, playing with a strong breeze, took control with scores from O’Neill (3f) and Karl McQuaid.

Granemore made their first ever SFC final
Photo Credit: John Merry

McGuinness made up for his earlier error with Killeavy’s first point before Wayne Kieran’s men had another goal chance.

Sean Boylan latched on to a long ball into the square but his effort with brilliantly blocked on the goal line.

Granemore used their own long ball tactic and Brendan Boylan set up O’Neill for his four of the afternoon. Callum O’Hare doubled Killeavy’s tally before they were reduced to 14 men.

Corner back Conor Magennis received his marching orders with a black card, followed by a red, adding to his earlier yellow.

Marty Carr popped over the final score of the half to give Niall McAleenan’s side a four-point half time cushion. 0-6 to 0-2.

Granemore made their first ever SFC final
Photo Credit: John Merry

Conor O’Neill and Ronan McGuinness kept Killeavy in touch while Ross Finn and Cathal Boylan traded scores after the turnaround.

McGuinness and Boylan split the posts to tie the game at 0-7 apiece and with the wind in their favour, it looked like Killeavy would push on for victory.

But Granemore weren’t for letting up and their late two goal blitz saw them create history.

Granemore Scorers: Jason O’Neill 0-6 (3f), Tony McClelland 1-0, Odhran Doyle 1-0, Ross Finn 0-1, Karl McQuaid 0-1, Marty Carr 0-1.

Killeavy Scorers: Ronan McGuinness 0-3 (2f), Cathal Boylan 0-2, Callum O’Hare 0-1, Conor O’Neill 0-1.

Granemore made their first ever SFC final
Photo Credit: John Merry