Division 2A & 2B Match Reports – Week One

Division 2A – Wolfe Tones 1-10 Culloville 1-12

A late punched goal from Ryan Duffy snatched a win for Culloville, in a game where they’ll trialled most of the way.

Duffy’s effort in the final few minutes put Culloville ahead for the first time since the opening moments, but it was enough to capture two points.

Colm Watters traded scores with Niall Dummigan early on before Pauddy Judge (free) and Caolan Farrell (mark) put Wolfe Tones ahead.

Watters added another, which was cancelled out by Dummigan before Jamie Haughey and Fergal Traynor swapped efforts.

Fergal Kieran and Jack Wilson did likewise before Caolan Skelton rattled the net for the game’s first goal.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Daniel Nugent and Kieran split the posts for the visitors while Judge hit the final score of the half. That left Wolfe Tones ahead 1-7 to 0-6.

Judge picked up a second yellow card at the end of the first period, while Watters also received his marching orders after the turnaround.

Dummigan put Tones five in front before four on the trot for Culloville left one-point between the teams.

Traynor, Dara Quinn (free), Duffy and James King all raised white flags to guarantee an exciting finish.

Skelton nudged the hosts further ahead before Duffy’s three-pointer fired Culloville one point in front.

Quinn traded scores with Dummigan (free) while Ryan Garvey fired over the final score of the game.

Photo Credit: Wolfe Tones

Tullysaran 0-9 Carrickcruppen 1-9

Carrickcruppen saw off Tullysaran, away from home, with a second half goal making all the difference in their Division 2A opener.

The first half was a scrappy affair with both teams making mistakes and the sides were level on 4 occasions.

Tullysaran’s scores came from Eddie Mallon, Ryan Conlon (2) and Matthew Kernan, but the visitors led 6-4 at the break.

Tullysaran had levelled inside four minutes with two Mallon points but were dealt a body blow when Cruppen rattled the net through Ross Magee.

Mallon reduced the deficit to three with another point and with time almost up a great chance for a Tullysaran goal was thwarted by a Cruppen defender.

The sides traded scores at the end of the game, with Carrickcruppen coming away with two points.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

Division 2B – Forkhill 2-9 Belleek 1-9

Forkhill saw off Belleek with three-points to spare in the opening round of the Division 2B league campaign.

Two Cormac Toner scores kick started the game, before Drew McVerry got the visitors up and running.

Paudie Toner and Sean McCreesh traded scores before Odhran Toal slotted home a Forkhill goal.

Ronan Davies and McVerry saw their efforts matched by Toner while Eoghan Roe O’Neill, Michael Keenan and Owen Donaghy stretched the Forkhill lead.

Belleek grabbed a lifeline through a McVerry goal to keep them in the game at half time. Forkhill ahead 1-8 to 1-4.

Scores from McCreesh and Gary Boyle narrowed the gap while Toner and McVerry cancelled each other out.

O’Neill then buried a second Forkhill goal and while McVerry tagged on another two-points, it wasn’t enough for Belleek.

Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Whitecross 1-8 Keady 0-10

Whitecross scrapped past Keady by the narrowest of margins to pick up a victory on the opening day.

The sides traded scores early on before the hosts found their groove and powered into the lead.

Scores from Neil McSherry, Cathal McSherry (1-2) and Conor Reidy put Whitecross 1-4 to 0-1 ahead at the break.

Keady shot back in the second half and were all square heading into the final few minutes of the game.

Cathal McSherry nudged Whitecross ahead before Keady levelled again. A late Liam Mackin score proved the difference, as Whitecross held on for a one-point win.

Photo Credit: John Merry

Annaghmore 1-5 Derrynoose 0-8

A Conor McNally free near the end of the game saw Derrynoose secure a share of the spoils in Annaghmore.

Conall and Conor McNally got the game up and running, before Annaghmore replied with two points of their own.

Conor McNally traded scores with the opposition, before Davy McCreesh put Derrynoose one up at the break. 0-4 to 0-3.

The sides cancelled each other out after the turnaround before Annaghmore stole ahead with a goal from Ciaran MacIomhair

Three Conor McNally efforts got Derrynoose back on level terms by the time the final whistle sounded.

Photo Credit: John Merry