Armagh book last eight spot

Armagh 0-16 Galway 1-12

Armagh claimed a famous first ever championship victory over Galway in a fascinating dual in Carrick-on-Shannon.

Rory Grugan proved the hero, slotting over the final score to see Armagh top the group and go straight through to the All-Ireland quarter finals.

It was a fantastic battle between the two teams, with the game drawn level on more than ten occasions.

Armagh displayed battle and heart to fight their way back from three down in the first half and deserved their win.

Photo Credit: John Merry

Rory Grugan saw his early point matched by Peter Cooke while Conor Turbitt and Cillian McDaid also swapped scores.

Shane Walsh exchanged efforts with Andrew Murnin and Aidan Forker to leave the sides tied after 22 minutes.

Walsh could have fired Galway in front from the spot, but Ethan Rafferty dived to his left and pulled off a super save.

But Galway soon got their goal. Full back Sean Kelly raced through the Orchard defence and slotted low to the net,

Stefan Campbell and McDaid cancelled each other out before the break, with Galway up by two, 1-5 to 0-6.

Photo Credit: John Merry

Two scores early in the second period from Murnin and Turbitt got Armagh back on level terms before Campbell edged them ahead.

The lead swapped hands numerous times after the turnaround, as Walsh and Tierney nudged Galway back in front.

Grugan levelled while Turbitt and Jason Duffy traded scores with Walsh and Cooke to tie the game 0-12 to 1-9 heading into the final quarter.

Walsh grabbed his fifth before Murnin punched over an equaliser for Armagh’s first score in 14 minutes.

Photo Credit: John Merry

It was score for score for the remainder of the game. Grugan and Forker matched scores from Kelly and Tierney.

A breakaway move late in the game saw Murnin fouled and Grugan held his nerve to hit the winning score.

Galway had one final chance, but Shane Walsh skied his difficult free and the final whistle was meant with a massive cheer from the travelling support.

Armagh: Ethan Rafferty, Paddy Burns, Ciaran Higgins, Aidan Forker 0-2, Greg McCabe, Aaron McKay, Conor O’Neill, Ciaran Mackin, Ben Crealey, Jason Duffy 0-1, Rory Grugan 0-4 (3f), Callum Cumiskey, Conor Turbitt 0-4 (2f), Andrew Murnin 0-3 (1m), Stefan Campbell 0-2. Subs: Justin Kieran for C. O’Neill (blood sub), Jarly Og Burns for C. Cumiskey, Ross McQuillan for G. McCabe, Justin Kieran C. Higgins, Joe McElroy for J. Duffy.

Galway: Connor Gleeson, John McGrath, Sean Kelly 1-1, Jack Glynn, Billy Mannion, John Daly, Cian Hernon, Paul Conroy, Cillian McDaid 0-2, Matthew Tierney 0-2, Johnny Heaney, Peter Cooke 0-2, Ian Burke, Cathal Sweeney, Shane Walsh 0-5 (3f). Subs: John Maher for B. Mannion, John Maher for J. Heaney, Cillian O’Curraoin for S. Kelly.