Armagh lost Master final to Limerick

Armagh 1-13 Limerick 2-14

Armagh lost out to Limerick after extra time in yesterday’s Spirit Cup final, with four the difference in the end.

Paul Cullen’s side led by four heading into the final quarter of normal time, but couldn’t see the game out.

Extra time was fairly tight as well, although Limerick claimed a late major to sneak ahead in the final few minutes.

Seamus McConville and John McKeefry got things up and running before Limerick 1-2 in quick succession.

The Orchardmen replied with a second from McKeefry before a great block in defence from Conall McKee denied another Limerick goal.

Limerick did follow up with another score which was matched by Mark Beattie, who pointed after a powerful run.

Armagh had a goal chance of their own through Mark Murray. Brendan Rafferty fed through the corner forward, but Murray’s effort drifted white of the posts.

Limerick hit two more while McKeefry added the final score of the half. That left Limerick ahead at the break, 1-5 to 0-5.

Armagh started the second period with 14 men as Gareth Richards picked up a black card just before the half time whistle.

McAvoy nailed a brace before Dara Edwards tied things up. Limerick added two scores, matched by Brian McGeary and McKeefry.

Armagh lost out to Limerick after extra time in yesterday's Spirit Cup final, with four the difference in the end.
Photo Credit: Richiespics

McGeary then set up McAvoy for a goal before Gerard Grimley fired over another score to go four ahead. Limerick hit the final four points however to see the game finish level 1-11 apiece.

Limerick hit the first two-points of extra time before Joe Gribben cut the deficit. That left the score 1-13 to 1-12 at half time of extra time.

Gribben saw a goal chance turned away by the Limerick netminder and Armagh had to settle a point as Richards split the posts.

The came the second Limerick three-pointer and that settled the game as Armagh didn’t have enough time to get back into it.