Pearse Og overcome Tones test

Pearse Og 1-8 Wolfe Tones 1-6

Pearse Og secured their spot in the semi-final of the Intermediate Championship with a hard fought win over Wolfe Tones.

The Ogs led throughout the entire game, but the Derrymacash men put in a ferocious shift to remain in contention.

Like the drawn game, it was the Ogs who flew out of the traps. They converted four of the games first five points.

Shea Freeman got things up and running after two minutes before midfielder Vinci Brady doubled the Ogs lead.

Wolfe Tones got off the mark in the fifth minute as Jamie Haughey fired over an awesome point from the sideline.

Tones could have shot ahead when Matthew Hagan was through on goal but his effort was turned away by Ryan Kearney.

It was the Ogs instead who kept the scoreboard moving. Corner back Aidan Harney and Oisin Toner chipped in with scores.

Niall Crilly and Hagan helped close the gap before Ruairi Duffy grabbed his first to restore the Ogs two point margin.

Moments later, Freeman, following a one-two with Harney, rattled the back of the net to make it a five point game.

The Tones had the final say of the first half as Paudie Judge (free) and Hagan raised white flags. That left the score 1-5 to 0-5 in favour of Pearse Og.

Freeman opened up a four point gap at the start of the second period as he slotted over a mark.

Photo Credit: Richiespics

But Peter Nugent’s men came roaring back into the contest. Jack Wilson’s pass found Josh Megoran who tapped the ball into the net.

Oisin Toner and Jamie Haughey (free) traded scores to leave one point the difference heading into the final 10 minutes.

Tones fought for an equaliser while the Ogs missed numerous opportunities to extend their lead, with both sides missing chances.

In the end, it was the Ogs who captured the next score, on the 63rd minute as Tiernan Quinn kicked the insurance score.

Pearse Og will not face St Patrick’s in the semi-finals while on the other side of the draw, Keady face St Paul’s.

In association with P2P Customs