Campbell masterclass leads Clan na Gael to final

Clan na Gael 0-14 Clann Eireann 1-9

Clan na Gael confirmed their place in the SFC final with an extra time win over Lurgan rivals Clann Eireann.

A low scoring but intriguing opening half was overshadowed by the incredible drama that followed.

Stefan Campbell was the hero for the Clans, inspiring their second half comeback with a sublime performance.

Campbell and Adam Kelly traded scores at the start of the game before Tiernan Kelly gave his side the lead.

Campbell and Micheal O’Shea swapped scores before Conor Turbitt (free) gave Ruairi Lavery’s side a 4-2 lead at the break.

Clann Eireann extended their advantage as Conor Turbitt, Tiernan Kelly and Rioghan Meehan all split the posts.

Niall Henderson tried to close the gap. With Clann Eireann netminder Jamie McAtavey off his line, Henderson shot for glory, but his radar was off.

Turbitt slotted over a free before Clan na Gael were handed a massive lifeline. Meehan was sent to the line for a second bookable offence, giving Clans an extra man for the last quarter.

It became the ‘Soupy’ show as Campbell dragged his side back into contention with an exhibition of score taking.

The former Armagh skipper landed five scores on the trot, two from play, to make it a one-point game.

A huge point from Turbitt offered the perfect response, but Shane McPartlan clipped over an equally impressive effort at the far side.

Ruairi McDonald should have it the net, but was denied but the crossbar, while Campbell levelled for Clans.

That proved to be the final piece of action during full time, with the sides tied at 0-9 apiece after 60 plus minutes.

Clan na Gael confirmed their place in the SFC final with an extra time win over Lurgan rivals Clann Eireann.
Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Extra time

McPartlan fired over the only score of the first half of extra time. His right-footed shot gave the Clans the lead for the first time since the fourth minute.

Callum O’Neill sliced over straight from the throw in before Campbell claimed his ninth. He slotted over a close range free as Sean McCarthy picked up a black card.

Campbell then played provided, setting up McPartlan, who blasted his goal chance over the crossbar.

Clann Eireann did the goalscoring. Conor Turbitt’s penalty was saved but was on hand to palm the ball to the net after the rebound fell to a Clann Eireann shirt.

It was only fitting that the final score fell to Campbell. As he done all night, he showed great leadership to slot the ball over the bar.