Armagh retain unbeat run with Rebel draw

Cork 2-16 Armagh 2-16

Armagh and Cork couldn’t be separated as they played out a 2-16 each draw at SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Armagh were on the ropes but kicked two points in a dramatic final few minutes to earn a share of the spoils.

Cork opened the scoring as Paul Walsh converted a mark but it was matched by a Rory Grugan free.

Two Colm O’Callaghan pointed handed the hosts the lead while Conor Turbitt lived up to his nickname, speeding past a defender for his first.

Maurice Shanley kicked a score, matched by Turbitt before the Clann Eireann man slotted over a free to level the game.

Brian Hurley traded scores with Oisin Conaty before Armagh raised the first green flag of the game.

Grugan found Joe McElroy with a great defence-splitting pass. McElroy’s shot was saved, Peter McGrane on was hand to punch the ball home.

Grugan and Hurley exchanged frees while Chris Og Jones and Conaty also cancelled each other out.

Matty Taylor and Jones traded points with Grugan and Ben Crealey.

That brought the scoring for the first half to an end, with the Orchard County ahead 1-9 to 0-9.

Hurley and Conaty matched each other at the start of the second half while Jarly Og Burns traded scores with Brian O’Driscoll.

A mishit backpass from Paddy Burns handed Cork possession and they levelled when Jones blasted the ball to the net.

Hurley and Turbitt raised white flags at either end before Cork midfielder Ian Maguire nudged the Rebels in front.

Armagh and Cork couldn’t be separated as they played out a 2-16 each draw at SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh
Photo Credit: John Merry

Turbitt tied things up but another lapse in concentration at the back gifted Cork another goal, this time netted by Luke Fahy.

Jones and Crealey (mark) cancelled each other out but Cork kept ahead as O’Callaghan knocked over his third of the evening.

Grugan smashed home a goal from a tight angle to narrow the gap to the minimum and keep Armagh in contention.

Corbett stretched Cork’s lead but two late scores from Aidan Nugent and Conaty earned Armagh a draw.

Cork: Micheal Aodh Martin, Maurice Shanley 0-1, Daniel O’Mahony, Tommy Walsh, Luke Fahy 1-0, Sean Meehan, Matty Taylor 0-1, Ian Maguire, Colm O’Callaghan 0-3, Paul Walsh 0-1 (1m), Sean Power, Brian O’Driscoll 0-1, Chris Og Jones 1-3, Conor Corbett 0-1 Brian Hurley 0-4 (1f) Subs: Killian O’Hanlon for P. Walsh, Steven Sherlock for B. Hurley, Eoghan McSweeney for K. O’Hanlon, Mark Cronan for S. Poster, Kevin Flahive for T. Walsh.

Armagh: Blaine Hughes, Paddy Burns, Aaron McKay, Peter McGrane 1-0, Jason Duffy, Joe McElroy, Connaire Mackin, Ben Crealey 0-2 (1m), Rian O’Neill, Rory Grugan 1-3 (3f), Barry McCambridge, Conor Turbitt 0-5 (2f) Tiernan Kelly, Oisin Conaty 0-4. Subs: Jarly Og Burns 0-1 for C. Mackin, Aidan Nugent 0-1 for J. Duffy, Ross McQuillan for J. McElroy, Stefan Campbell for R. O’Neill.