Armagh reach last eight with Galway draw

Armagh 1-12 Galway 0-15

Armagh booked their place in the All-Ireland quarter-finals for a third year in a row with a draw against Galway. A late fisted score from Stefan Campbell was enough for Kieran McGeeney’s men to top the group.

After previous victories over Westmeath and Derry, a draw was enough for Armagh to claim top spot. They came surging back into the game in the final quarter, having trailed by five with 15 minutes left.

But a Tiernan Kelly goal got the Orchard County right back into contention and they outscored their opponents 1-4 to 0-2 in the last quarter. Rian O’Neill and Conor Turbitt kicked huge scores before Campbell fisted the equaliser.

Armagh opened the scoring through Tiernan Kelly but kicked three wides in the next three minutes. Galway did reply a few minutes later with a point at the other end with Matthew Tierney raising a white flag.

Conor Turbitt nudged the Orchard County ahead again, but Robert Finnerty tied things up once again. Turbitt turned provided moments later and he did really well to set up an Andrew Murnin point.

Finnerty added another with a pointed free before Cillian McDaid handed Padraic Joyce’s men the lead for the first time. Once again, the game was level as Armagh shot back through midfielder Ben Crealey.

Turbitt notched his third point before Finnerty slotted over another from the dead ball. Galway then opened up a three-point gap for the first time as they kicked three scores on the bounce.

Paul Conroy put the Tribesmen ahead before a Shane Walsh brace put them into a three-point lead. Rian O’Neill grabbed the final score of the first period to close the gap, leaving Galway ahead 0-8 to 0-6 at the break.

Armagh booked their place in the All-Ireland quarter-finals for a third year in a row with a draw against Galway.
Photo Credit: John Merry

Walsh and O’Neill traded scores, as did John Maher and Murnin before Conroy kicked a huge score. Dylan McHugh and Liam Silke both raised white flags, to open up a five-point margin.

Turbitt slotted over a free before winning the resulting kickout and setting up his Clann Eireann clubmate Kelly for the game-changing goal. O’Neill levelled the game before Kelly repaid Turbitt by assisting Armagh’s top scorer for another point.

Two pointed frees from Walsh put Galway one-point ahead once again but the final score fell to Campbell who tied things up. It’s on to the last eight of the All-Ireland series now for Armagh, with that game scheduled for two weeks’ time.

Armagh: Blaine Hughes, Barry McCambridge, Aaron McKay Peter McGrane, Ciaran Higgins, Tiernan Kelly 1-1, Aidan Forker, Niall Grimley, Ben Crealey 0-1, Joe McElory, Rian O’Neill 0-3, Oisin Conaty, Rory Grugan, Andrew Murnin 0-2, Conor Turbitt 0-4 (1f). Subs: Stefan Campbell 0-1 for C. Higgins, Ross McQuillan for O. Conaty, Aidan Nugent for A. Forker, Oisin O’Neill for P. McGrane.

Galway: Conor Gleeson, Johnny McGrath, Sean Fitzgerald, Jack Glynn, Dylan McHugh 0-1, Sean Mulkerrin, Liam Silke 0-1, Paul Conroy 0-2, Sean Kelly, Matthew Tierney 0-1, John Maher 0-1, Cein Darcy, Robert Finnerty 0-3 (2f), Shane Walsh 0-5 (2f), Cillian McDaid 0-1. Subs: John Daly for S. Mulkerrin, Cathal Sweeney for C. McDaid, Johnny Heaney for S. Kelly, Daniel O’Flaherty for C. Darcy, Tomo Culhane for R. Finnerty.