Mayo no match for Armagh Minors

Armagh 0-16 Mayo 1-6

Armagh reached the All-Ireland Minor final with an impressive seven-point victory over Mayo at Pearse Park, Longford.

While the sides were tied at half time, Armagh were much the better team after the turnaround.

It was a controlled and mature performance from Aidan O’Rourke’s youngsters, who defended heroically throughout. Gavin O’Rourke and Tomas Fox tying up Mayo dangermen Kobe McDonald and Oisin Deane.

The class up front from Eoin Duffy and Shea Loughran kept the scoreboard ticking over. James McCooe tied the whole forward line together with his playmaking qualities from centre half forward.

Armagh’s challenge was dealt a serious setback inside the first sixty seconds when Andrew Quinn broke through the defence and rallied the ball to the back of the net.

Two Armagh goal chances were repelled by the crossbar, but they did open their account through Duffy, who traded dead ball efforts with McDonald.

Loughran also swapped scores with McDonald before Armagh hit a purple patch.

Duffy nailed two, split by a Diarmuid O’Rourke score, to tie things ups after 21 minutes of play.

Deane and O’Rourke both raised white flags before McCooe nudged the Orchard County ahead for the first time.

Mayo’s response was swift, and McDonald fired over an inspirational point to level the game at half time, 1-4 to 0-7.

Second half

Armagh burst out of the traps at the start of the second half with six successive points. Loughran (3), Duffy, Daithi O’Callaghan and Fionn Toale all split the posts.

Armagh reached the All-Ireland Minor final with an impressive seven-point victory over Mayo at Pearse Park, Longford.
Photo Credit: Sinead Snaps

Mayo halted the scoring spree briefly through Deane, but it wasn’t enough to turn the tide.

O’Callaghan added his second, either side of two scores from substitute Aaron Garvey.

Mayo finished the scoring for the day through Jack O’Malley, but it was only a consolation score at that stage.

Armagh will take on Derry in the All-Ireland final, a repeat of the Ulster final. It will be the third championship meeting between the two, with Armagh hoping to earn their first win.

Armagh: M Finnegan, T Fox, G O’Rourke, C Wilson, Fergus Toale, S Woods, D O’Rourke 0-2, J Loughran, D O’Callaghan 0-2, R Marsden, J McCooe 0-1, K McEntee, Fionn Toale 0-1, E Duffy 0-4 (2f), S Loughran 0-4. Subs: A Garvey 0-2 for R Marsden, O Gribben for D O’Rourke, A McGrane for Fionn Toale, L Bellew for E Duffy, Danny McGee for G. O’Rourke.

Mayo: N Roddy, C Coghill, T Hession, D Butler, D Hurley, M Noonan, M Sheerin, J Moyles, O Loughney, H McHale, K McDonald 0-3 (2f), D Flynn, B Langan, O Deane 0-2, A Quinn 1-0. Subs: C Kavanagh for O Loughney, J Ferry for M Sheerin, J O’Malley 0-1 for A Quinn, E Walsh for H McHale, F O’Cinnsella for B Langan.